It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:38

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Apr 2022, 22:46 • #1 
Sport
I just picked one of these up off the auction site for $10. It looks new. I only have one Pflueger, a 1495-1/2, so I can’t be sure, but the Omni 44 looks VERY MUCH like the Pflueger. I’m guessing here, but I’d bet it’s a match to the 1495. Is this reel as good as the Pflueger?

Post 26 Apr 2022, 07:41 • #2 
Piscator
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13648

Some mixed metaphors in the thread above comparing Olympic-made reels to Shakespeare/Pflueger, also observations Omni and Medalist spools both interchange and don't interchange.
Considering Q/C and history of Medalist as the Best production fly reel made in US, they are not close through history.
Considering Q/C from the time Shakespeare bought Pflueger, they get closer.

I have a sneaking suspicion Omni were prototypes for Medalist CJ.

Post 26 Apr 2022, 08:38 • #3 
Sport
Thanks for the link! I put a Rio Mainstream DT6F on it figuring my granddaughter can use it with my CGR 5-6. I reversed it from right to left-hand retrieve, and it looks internally just like a Pflueger. :)

Post 26 Apr 2022, 10:07 • #4 
Piscator
You're welcome. Since they're the same company, I'd expect them to be the same reels, maybe not both made in Arkansas, and maybe not made by the same methods.

At some point, Medalist made the swap from stamped-from-aircraft-grade-wrought-sheet to die-cast from cheaper metal - this is certainly true of -AK, and I'm not sure about -CJ.
Just pointing out that could be the big difference - a first trial for cheaper manufacturing methods.

Die-cast metal doesn't have wrought texture strength, and contains dirt and voids.
If you drop an -AK, at the least, you'll distort the frame out-of-round - that won't happen with a Medalist-DA or older.

Post 26 Apr 2022, 12:14 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I had a 1495CJ years ago and dropped it.It definitely bent.It was probably die-cast.

Post 26 Apr 2022, 12:31 • #6 
Piscator
thanks - good data point - I've only owned one of the last 1492-AK when H&H was closing them out.
Two really good parts from -AK, the thin foot that fits Everything, and on 1494 and up, the graphite-filled drag plate was a boon over nylon part on -DA's.
When our late friend Bill F. would take a health hiatus, I bought these parts from Pure Fishing to supplement missing OnePfoot parts.

New Topic Add Reply