It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:49

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Apr 2022, 10:53 • #1 
After getting my 6 weight double taper Airflo in the mail (heavily discounted), I went to put it on the Scientific Anglers System 7/ Hardy Marquis. Trying it on with no backing I almost had to shoehorn the reel back together, no space between the line and the reel frame. I've seen mention of their lines being half a size over. No tragedy, and I'm sure that I'll find another reel that it will fit on, but I don't know otherwise what is happening here...

Before I spend my girlfriends tax return on r̶i̶m̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶ an undiscounted fly line, what does anyone have on this reel?

Post 01 Apr 2022, 12:06 • #2 
Guide
Seems to me, and has since I got my first Marquis in 1981, that Hardy were rather perversely overrating the capacity of those reels. I’m currently using an 8 disk for 7 weight lines, a cut down DT6F on a 6, and a DT3F on a 4.

But with a DT you can always cut it to the length you’re actually going to cast. Cut it in half and you’ve got 2 lines for the price of one :)

Last edited by Mahseer on 02 Apr 2022, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Apr 2022, 14:32 • #3 
Guide
Yo Io - I've got a bunch of Marquis/SA System reels. I routinely use the next size up reel, so my SA DT5F Supreme is on an SA6, etc. I like at least a bit of backing on the reel to make attaching the line itself easier. Maybe Hardy tradition, being born when lines were only silk, influenced their judgement on assigning line sizes to the reels. Plastic lines (other than Masterlines) are pretty fat compared to silk.

tl
les

Post 01 Apr 2022, 17:02 • #4 
Sport
Just checked my three (two Marquis 7 and one System 7) all are the four rivet models. All have 5 wt lines, one DT-5F and two WF-5F all have an adequate (not sure how much) amount of backing.

Post 03 Apr 2022, 00:51 • #5 
Master Guide
So DT is the worst case scenario for consuming reel space. I have WF5 and 6 lines, including overweight indicator nymph lines, on my (multiple) Marquis 7 reels and have no problem fitting the lines and backing on the reels. I can see how a modern puffy DT6 could be an issue, however…

Last edited by motosacto on 30 Apr 2022, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 Apr 2022, 08:12 • #6 
Guide
My Marquis 7 fits a 406 WF7F with at least enough backing to fill the first ring of porting in the spool. I'm not sure exactly how much it is, but I believe that it's a sufficient amount for most purposes.

Post 03 Apr 2022, 15:29 • #7 
Thank you for all the responses. To me the reel seems enormous for balancing with any five weight rod that I own. One would think that as motosacto put it, lines must have gotten much "puffier". I would also think that when SA was selling these new, their system seven rod, line, and backing would have worked fine...

Post 03 Apr 2022, 17:45 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Synthetic fly lines were just as buoyant (thus, larger diameter per unit of weight and length) decades ago before the common practice of identifying reel "size" by numerical line weight. That happened at about the same time Orvis popularized the WF line as the all-purpose line. A WF line of comparable buoyancy/line weight takes up less spool space because about half its length is the thinner running line. Typically, reels "sized" in this way are sized for WF lines and will be minimal for backing and a DT of the same weight. With the SA reels and many others, its a good guesstimate to go up in numbered size by one or two line weights if a DT will be used. Otherwise, like the old days, size the reel by spool diameter and width. A relatively narrow spooled reel will need to be about 3 `1/4' or more depending on how shallow or deep the arbor. They aren't enormous relative to a DT line or a 'glass rod used with one, but they may look that way relative to more dainty reels sized similarly, but with a slightly wider spool, in which case a smaller diameter yields the same spool volume.

Post 02 May 2022, 07:54 • #9 
Sport
I have Hardy Marquis and Scientific Anglers in the #6/system 6 size. They all interchange spools and are 3 1/4" diameter. I have DT6F, and WF6F lines spooled on them. They all have at least 25 yards of 20# backing.
What is the diameter of the 7's?

New Topic Add Reply