It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:27

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Mar 2022, 08:39 • #1 
Piscator
40 years ago, the Japan-made Marryat reels were considered superior to the Swiss-made.
I was stumbling around on Amazon JP, looking for Super Strike bait rod blades, and discovered Smith still makes the original magnesium Marryat -
- or more likely, it's a limited edition run.

With the current exchange rate, Japan shopping is a great buy.
The first thing Amazon.jp does is supbract domestic VAT tax for US buyer. They have their own shipping containers to US, and updrade to DHL express is only $5.

Post 01 Apr 2022, 08:04 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Part of the beauty of the Marryat is its sleek, low-profile feel foot, a contrast to what we see more often today in higher-sitting reels, a gesture to the clearance needed for more common uplocking seats, and the feel/reach of L.A. reels. The compact design of the Marryat is a great classic form, yet in its original time, its high adonize finish, lack of a line guard, and drag mechanism were almost "futuristic."

Post 01 Apr 2022, 22:39 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I've been seeing the Smith Marryat reels on Amazon JP for the last 3 to 4 years, so might not be such a limited run.

Larry

Post 02 Apr 2022, 07:40 • #4 
Piscator
With the VAT subtracted, the cost of the Marryat in today's exchange rate is the same dollar cost that reel cost in 1980.
If you do the inflation calculation, that's a heck of a deal for a damn classy reel, and the best light-duty drag of any reel I've fished.

Post 02 Apr 2022, 14:26 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
A few years ago, I stocked up on reels and spools when they were half off of list price. They are really pretty reels.

Post 02 Apr 2022, 23:13 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I miss the Marryat reel that was stolen from me. If I didn't already have a lot of light and ultralight reels, I would buy another Marryat.

Larry.

New Topic Add Reply