It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:11

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Mar 2022, 12:48 • #1 
Guide
I wanted a ~4 oz US-made vintage reel so recently acquired a "brand new" (still in the unopened blister pack) Martin 63SS reel. Probably paid too much for it, but that's a different story.

I've never handled a tuna can Martin and my only reference is a bevy of vintage Medalists.

Despite never being used, the spool rubs against the frame in one spot. I was able to "tweak" the alignment somewhat and improve it, but not completely. It's not horrible, but a little disappointing for a "brand new" reel.

The clicker is really, really loud, easily the loudest among all my reels, but thankfully can be disengaged.

Overall, the construction seems much less robust than the Medalist, which is not unexpected since it's much lighter. However, I can't see this reel handling anything more than small-medium sized trout, and the design and construction of the "rim control" spool seems to beg to be warped out of alignment with hard use.

On the plus side, it is really light weight and looks cool.

Sorry to rant. Not expecting any solutions, but hoping this little reel fishes better than my current expectations. I plan to put it on a 7' 5wt fiberglass rod.

Any experiences with this little reel, good or bad?

Post 21 Mar 2022, 07:50 • #2 
Piscator
two things there and both described in the name of the reel model - 63 and SS
The caliper-clicker tuna cans have the least-desirable Martin check.
Image Image
These reels should be considered a basic line storage device.

The one Martin you might put up with the caliper clicker for its striking good looks is M68 multiplier.
(this one modified with a OnePfoot requiring custom spacers)
Image Image

compare with the helical-spring click-pawl of the desirable MG-3
Image Image
you might also note the MG-3 went on a diet and lost a steel plate - this really is a lightweight reel.
There's a reason it was called the Poor Man's Hardy.

The SS reels were a reaction to market pressure - taking something that worked really well - in this case, the M67A, and complicating it with a critical alignment need.
Image Image
If you note the slotted screw on the spindle back, you can loosen it and adjust the spindle alignment - gently tighten it when you have it.

You might also note there were Martin reels that were never sold in blister packs
Image Image
When Martin made it to the LM series, they had a palming reel - we call it the Poor Man's CFO.

I never picked up any examples, but there were also the Martin Classic USA reels that have a good reputation -
- not to be confused with the later China reels using the same name.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 21 Mar 2022, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Mar 2022, 07:52 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
It is a simple utility reel. The stamped palming rim spool face can be gently pressured to straighten it in the same way a small dent or bulge is finessed back to place on an auto fender. The click is best thought of as a check against overrun when stripping line. It does provide light resistance well suited to a lighter-line weight 'glass rod and fine tippet. But it's not a "drag" as thought of in wider range applications. A 'glass rod is an important part of the fish-playing ability in these simple rigs, and often the reel was just used as a line holder, fishing being played by stripping in line. Panfish and trout, light duty. If you get a big fish that has room to run, holding on can be fun, too. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50599&p=220315&hilit=foamy+pocket#p220315

Post 21 Mar 2022, 09:44 • #4 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
If you note the slotted screw on the spindle back, you can loosen it and adjust the spindle alignment - gently tighten it when you have it.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

bulldog1935 wrote:
taking something that worked really well - in this case, the M67A, and complicating it with a critical alignment need.

Well stated, I feel exactly the same way given this reel's intended purpose.

Post 21 Mar 2022, 15:13 • #5 
Master Guide
What no love for the tuna cans ??

Im surprised no one also mentions how bad the reel foot rusts and that the paint on the spool of 63ss is know to bubble/corrode..lol

Evolution of the 63 Tuna cans

Early 63 with coin slot/screw spool release
63 push tab release with aluminum cover
63 push tab release with plastic cover
63 SS skirted spool
Mg3 top spec 63 with adj drag ,extra porting machined/lightened reel foot.
Like bulldog says the MG3s are super light weight.
Only one I’m missing is the Skirted spool Mg3ss?? (talk about a unicorn)

They are niche reels
Need to balance a 7ft Yankee Clipper but still fit under the picky featherweight seat all while being somewhat period correct.
done..

Need it to balance a small Brookie composite rod
No prob..

Oh and when you get your hands on a MG3 you’ll wait and save it for some special rod.
Like I did.
I’ve had this reel for 4 yrs and finally found the Goldilocks rod worthy of mounting it to
CarlZ’s old 7ft Cortland Fr 200 and my mint Mg3 are a match made in heaven..

Oh and Brian they do get a lil more quiet when you grease and line em up .
The empty tuna can body is like an amp.
It’s like an acoustical event going on inside .
They also quiet down a lil bit more when they break in a bit as well

I’ve found that the clamshell reels are susceptible to getting bent way more so than the boxed versions. I got a clamshell one that was tweaked pretty bad but I was able to get it back into shape .

Another good thing about the loud click check
You never have to say “fish on”
When the blueback Shad take my Martin for a screamin ride the whole neighborhood knows Ive got a fish on …

Bulldog awesome tip on the mg3/7ss spool alignment ..
Although I can’t believe you have never used a tuna can for White Bass .
I bet that 63 would be lit up!!!

There was an A&F stamped 63 in its original box that went for big $ money a few months ago. Like over $300
Apparently someone out there loves these reels more than me.. I only bid up to $175 on the Abercrombie/Martin 63

Martin maniacs..

Post 21 Mar 2022, 15:59 • #6 
Guide
ottobahn, great post and nice Martin collection.
ottobahn wrote:
The empty tuna can body is like an amp.

Haha, yes it is! Glad it's not quite as loud lined up and broken in. As is, it's so loud I think it will scare fish and wildlife!

Post 21 Mar 2022, 17:08 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
It was a carboard box, or blister pack, or starter kit economy/utility reel. That's all. They can still be found here and there in a dusty corner of an old general store for $10, give or take. It it is on the display card with a rod, maybe $20, $25 if a line were in the pack. People bought them to use for the summer or a weekend and lose or throw away if the kids didn't break them. They worked a long time if given minimal care, like a drop of oil and a wipe down with oil as normal practice for many reels, same as firearms. Few people bothered, and why should they. If they got a few weekends out of it, and it still worked next summer after sitting out on the camp porch all winter, it didn't owe them anything. It was a utlity reel. It isn't a collector reel.

A side point on the spindle mount on some Martins. I seem to recall it is reverse thread.

In any case, use a good fitting screwdriver, and if there is the least resistance, treat with penetrant first.

I don't want to try any of mine since the screw itself is relatively soft; easy to gouge the head or shear the screw if forcing it the wrong way. I loctited several years ago and don't want to try the others, either.

Maybe Bulldog can verify or correct on the thread. Sorry, I just don't remember.

Again, this and all the other utility configurations are the pragmatic manufacturing strategy for pragmatic anglers who took care of gear. Easy parts replacement and, in their time, availability, with a few models so inexpensive, like the 63, they usually gave a reasonable service life and then weren't worth replacing.

Post 22 Mar 2022, 07:37 • #8 
Piscator
Steve, the last one I touched was aligning-out rub on an LL Bean SS, and this photo entry is dated 2007.
I can't remember the thread orientation, but fitting the right driver bit, gently trying both directions will answer the question.
It's a mild aluminum screw, so it's too easy to overload.

Image Image

the small gear caliper clicker is less loud than it is teeth-chattering shock, while Martin's helical-gear click pawl is one of the nicest, smoothest check mechanisms ever devised.

Post 22 Mar 2022, 22:44 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Sadly, you found a lemon. I have two of them and both are wonderful.

Post 04 Jun 2022, 12:07 • #10 
I've never held one of tuna can models, but I do really like many of the other Martin reel models.

What was the smallest of the multiplier models? A 3 3/8"?

Post 04 Jun 2022, 21:24 • #11 
Piscator
Martin made the largest number of variations from the same number of parts.
The spool plates are all the same diameter - they vary the frame and the width.
Image Image
Image Image

Post 05 Jun 2022, 05:48 • #12 
Master Guide
I guess the 63SS is still a step above the CC61 (made in China "Caddis Creek" Martin).

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them. One of my favorite Martins is the Orvis-branded version -- the MG3 Martin, I believe. I was given one in like-new condition and it resides on an Eagle Claw Featherlight that's always in the car.

New Topic Add Reply