It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:04

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply
Re: New new CFO III
Post 06 Oct 2023, 22:52 • #76 
Sport
I’ve had the newest CFO for a year and I am not impressed. From the reel foot issue to the spool overrun to the lack of a counterweight, there is nothing special about this reel. It’s well made but not very functional. The old adage that states that the function of a reel is to hold line hit the nail on the head with this one.

I still find it surprising that the legendary Stan Bogdan did not put a counterweight on it. The CFO has not been improved since its inception.

Post 09 Oct 2023, 09:13 • #77 
Guide
Some of them do have counter weights, like the CFO V Salt. Which is a nicer reel than the new CFO III IMO. My new CFO III is now sitting a shelf, looking nice, but collecting dust.

Post 15 Oct 2023, 19:24 • #78 
Guide
My original CFO, from the pre-production batch of 30, is still going strong after more than 50 years.

It’s my go to 4 wt reel.

Post 15 Oct 2023, 21:24 • #79 
Master Guide
I have a CFO III probably made in the 1980's sometime - I purchased it used about a decade ago. It's a great reel - a perfect match for the Scott 4wt F rod I usually pair with it. My opinion on counterweights - I don't miss them where I use smaller reels and lighter lines.

Post 16 Oct 2023, 08:16 • #80 
Guide
I have the same foot issues with the Abel CFOs, only get to use them on my uplocking rods. The standards jgestar posted were also posted to my questions about the revised Abel TR series. The new reel looks very similar foot wise so I’ve held off, as much as I’d like a black CFO. The English CFOs fit every rod I have better than the US reels, sliding band or uplocking.

Post 20 Oct 2023, 11:48 • #81 
Glass Fanatic
Jrod88:

I can't speak to the new CFO, but I own all three of the Abel versions and all three fit just fine on the rods I pared them with, all with downlocking reel seats which is a good thing because I won't buy a rod with an uplocking seat.

In my lifetime, the only rods that gave me reel seat trouble were custom rods with custom inserts. Factory built rods have never been a problem. After those issues with custom rods I always send rod makers/builders the dimensions of the reel foot for the reel I intend to use and in the case of cap & ring reelseats and HOW FAR in the cap and HOW FAR I want the ring to slide over the foot.

I never had a problem after taking this precaution.

Post 12 Jan 2024, 22:35 • #82 
Guide
So as an update to the reel seat issue, it was Bill Archuleta to the rescue. I got tired of having an expensive paperweight so I sent it off to him to work on the reel foot and as with his usually quick turn around time I have a much more useful CFO III. For those looking to cure the oversized reel foot, Bill is a great option. He even straightened out a Princess of mine that had a bent frame.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply