It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jan 2022, 13:43 • #1 
Guide
Please forgive my OCD.....I do realize the answers to these questions have no bearing on the function of the reel.

1) What is the significance of the "M" stamped on the line guard? Maybe stands for "Medalist"? From the factory, did it face the inside of the reel or the outside (where it wouldn't be visible)?

2) The reel foot has "rings" or "indents" on the pillars on only one side. From the factory, did they face the front of the reel or the back plate? The attached picture shows them facing the back plate, but that's just how I assembled the reel.

Post 25 Jan 2022, 14:58 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Went through some of my correct era reels/reel feet - 5 reels, 1 > face, 4 > back; 2 reels were new and I know they were never taken apart, they all face to the back. No reels have M's showing on the guides, several were changed to LHW by me, and I would have put them back the way they initially were installed.
Certainly not proof, just anecdotal.

Post 25 Jan 2022, 15:54 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
M hidden and indents to the brake plate, is how most are.

Post 25 Jan 2022, 16:35 • #4 
Guide
Thanks guys! Anyone have a guess what the "M" stands for?

Post 25 Jan 2022, 18:23 • #5 
Guide
I have these:
Rings and M
1492DA--No and No
1494--backplate and No
1494--spool side and No
1498DA--No and No
1498DA--spool side and No

Post 25 Jan 2022, 19:18 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
" Anyone have a guess what the "M" stands for?"

My best guess is the obvious, M for Medalist, but it's a part designation like the B on the reel foot, which might stand for bottom, but could also help employees sort required parts in a room full miscellaneous parts for several different reels, it's possible that each mechanic had a parts diagram with the letters showing where the parts fit. It could be designating one of a series of design changes for that part, M=13 changes, B=2 changes etc. But because it's hidden on the assembled reel, we know it was meant for factory use, with no meaning to the consumer.

New Topic Add Reply