It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:18

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Dec 2021, 12:40 • #1 
Sport
I've had a couple of reels that I found to be quite tinny sounding and have managed to quiet them through a variety of methods, but haven't been entirely satisfied with the end result. Some methods I've tried are bending the pawl and adding extra grease/duct tape to the pawl. They do quiet the reel down, but the grease is messy, duct tape comes off at some point, and bending the pawl doesn't messes with the reel resistance.

Has anyone tried modifying the clicker mechanism of their reel to quiet down?

Post 17 Dec 2021, 15:21 • #2 
Piscator
this post is aimed at the mechanics of hairspring click-pawl
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5550&start=25#p247945
If you read through it, it applies to tuning as much as swapping wind direction.
Slightly increasing the pawl lead will make the reel wind smoother and pay a bit stouter.
If you go too far, the pawl will spit out of engagement.
increasing the overall spread of the spring increases the total drag load, which you can always relax by simply compressing the spring in place.
When you have the spring where you like it, a 350 F soak for 15 minutes sets the spring temper, so it won't relax to its last set point.

Post 24 Aug 2022, 07:16 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog wrote : " a 350 F soak for 15 minutes sets the spring temper, so it won't relax to its last set point "

I missed the liquid being used... some might catch on fire...

Thanks again for your hot tips. ;)

Post 24 Aug 2022, 07:58 • #4 
Piscator
Brian, what do you smoke for breakfast.
Soak means long enough time in the oven for the metal to all reach the same temperature.
15 minutes is plenty in a spring.
350 F works for pretty much all spring MOC, is high enough to last, and low enough not to over-temper (soften) Q/T steel springs.

Post 26 Aug 2022, 16:00 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have played around trying to reduce the noise on several reels. Heavy grease is quick and easy and will help some, but for the most part, I just use reels that are quiet to begin with.

If you find a good solution to the noise, let us know!

Post 27 Aug 2022, 07:42 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you for the clarification bulldog.

Re-reading it again - my bad - I missed the lingo.

Post 27 Aug 2022, 08:47 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Knowing very little about gear and pawl reels, I'll ask, what makes the noise and what determines the sharpness or volume of the noise? I've thought that close engagement of gear and pawl would result in sharper sound and that rounding the gear teeth and the pawl corners might lessen that sound by reducing the degree of contact?
With my hearing loss I rarely notice that they even make a noise, so it wouldn't bother me enough to even worry about it, however, I would not want grease involved, I think wax is a better tool lube.

Post 27 Aug 2022, 11:05 • #8 
Guide
I tend to just live with it..though sounds like tempering the spring could be effective.

While some reels are difficult to turn around from RH to LH retrieve, I leave them they way they were designed and they fish fine.

Post 30 Aug 2022, 19:58 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Just received a Princess size Garcia / Hardy clone with the strongest springs in any reel I’ve handled of its style.

Swapping the springs and pawls for Hardy parts is in this reels future.

Another tip I never thought of
Until I read the advice here from bulldog.

Post 31 Aug 2022, 01:31 • #10 
Master Guide
The volume and pitch of the click has much to do with the body of the reel, especially the thickness of the Aluminum. Stamped reels are generally thin-walled and "tinny" sounding. Quieting the reel without making the drag too light is a problem.

Post 05 Sep 2022, 05:37 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
The fact that (most all) these reels have a mirror image of the parts on the other side is fantastic.
Sometimes its just easy to swap the other spring and pawl - from within the same reel.

New Topic Add Reply