It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:43

New Topic Add Reply
Valentine Clicker
Post 07 Dec 2021, 16:56 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
These Valentines are truly beautiful reels, I just have one question. Why is there a click when bringing line in and not going out? Personally I like the sound of the reel as the fish takes line.

I'm sure someone here can tell me why they were made this way.

Thanks,
Barry

Re: Valentine Clicker
Post 07 Dec 2021, 17:46 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
These reels are beautifully made but essentially a copy of a Pflueger Medalist. The click is the pin that is incorporated into the spool. When it clicks it is riding along the disc that is integral to the drag. Without the pin there would be no drag. I am sure someone else could probably explain it better but that is the general idea.

Last edited by jeffsod on 07 Dec 2021, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Dec 2021, 18:20 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I understand where the sound comes from. If the indents in the drag plate were in the opposite direction wouldn't the click be changed from inbound to outbound click?

Thanks,
Barry

Post 07 Dec 2021, 18:39 • #4 
Piscator
Medalist on steroids - the ratchet plate is flat against the disc drag pancake, but a stepped clutch on the spool pin side.
They're quite easy to disassemble and clean.

Post 07 Dec 2021, 18:58 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Could the stepped clutch have been made so the click would have been on the outbound instead of on the inbound?

Does the drag plate rotate as line is being taken out or is it stationary? Sorry if silly question.

Post 07 Dec 2021, 19:22 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
The drag plate rotates when the drag is engaged.

Post 07 Dec 2021, 19:30 • #7 
Guide
The Valentine Single Actions, like the Classic Planetary reels, can be changed from RHW to LHW by changing the ramped Delrin clutch disc.
I have five of the smaller trout reels now in regular use. All my reels came with either a black disc for LHW (installed), with a brown RHW disc as a spare brake component, or visa versa. At one time, one of these discs were white.

(These clutch discs are I believe still available from Val-Craft.) I have not worn out a disc in over 30 years. They get dimpled with use, but they keep on working.

There does not seem to be any separate click mechanisms designed into the Classic Planetary or the Single Action reels. The clutch pin produces the sound as it rides off each "ramp" of the Delrin disc. I don't know if the Planetary Plus reels have a separate clicker for the line going out.

It's funny, for a decade or so I only used Valentines for all my trout & bass fishing. I got used to a "quiet out".

Enjoy your Single Action #89. Cheers, Istvan

Post 07 Dec 2021, 19:35 • #8 
Sport
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
I understand where the sound comes from. If the indents in the drag plate were in the opposite direction wouldn't the click be changed from inbound to outbound click?

Thanks,
Barry

Yes, but then the drag would not work, or to be more specific it would affect the retrieve.

New Topic Add Reply