It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:51

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Nov 2021, 19:21 • #1 
Master Guide
It started accidentally, but I have now acquired what I think is a complete set of Guide reels made by Hardy for L.L.Bean. These are simplified versions of Hardy Marquis click-check reels. They have no line guards in the cages and they don’t have a backup spring and check like those in the regular Marquis. The finish isn’t terribly durable, either. But they’re still pretty cool. I use two of these three on a regular basis and will probably put the third into rotation next spring. They pair very well with fiberglass rods. Pics follow…

Post 24 Nov 2021, 19:28 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations, they have became hard to find over the years.

Great little reels and the finish on these reels seems to be immune to abuse.

Had bunch of them when they went on clearance. Regret selling them all along the way.

Post 25 Nov 2021, 07:13 • #3 
Piscator
since it came up, here's the Marquis dual-check and yoke for comparison.

You have hugely desirable reels there - certainly more rare for collecting than Marquis, and a basic reel design that should be on everyone's list for a Hardy to take fishing.

Post 25 Nov 2021, 10:11 • #4 
Guide
Congratulations. Those are indeed hard to find these days.
I prefer yours, with the aluminum latch covers, to some that had black plastic latch covers.
Does anyone know how much these three weigh? Haven’t been able to find that info anywhere.

Post 25 Nov 2021, 11:59 • #5 
Guide
Beautiful..match up well with vintage rods

Post 25 Nov 2021, 12:28 • #6 
Sport
Those are exceptional! I love Marquis reels, so I naturally love these.

Post 27 Nov 2021, 15:48 • #7 
Master Guide
I received an offline question about reel weights and thought this might be worth publishing to the forum. My 3/4 doesn’t have a line yet so that was easy. Unspooling line from the other reels was a bridge too far, but I have enough reels with similar lines to get approximate line+backing weights and subtract. Here’s what I came up with. I am also including two Marquis reels with empty spools for comparison and to validate that the weights are in the right ballpark.

Guide 3/4: 3 3/8 oz 97g
(SA Sys 5: 3 7/8 oz 110g)
Guide 5/6: 4 3/8 oz 121g
(Marquis 7: 4 3/4 oz 133g)
Guide 7/8: 5 1/4 oz 149g

I realized also that 3/4 came with a reel paper that shows a 1996 copyright - so these were made more recently than I expected. I uploaded reel papers to the pinned thread for reference.

One other note regarding the finish durability: I can verify from personal experience that slipping, falling, and smashing these reels into granite boulders will create scrapes that go right through the finish to the underlying aluminum.

Post 02 Dec 2021, 14:36 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
had not seen those before, very handsome and unusual reels, thank you..

Quote:
I can verify from personal experience that slipping, falling, and smashing these reels into granite boulders will create scrapes that go right through the finish to the underlying aluminum.

can confirm, my Hardy and Orvis reels also struggle with my fishing habits of falling onto rocks frequently..

Post 02 Dec 2021, 16:49 • #9 
Sport
I'm not sure I've ever seen that model before....very nice!

Post 05 Dec 2021, 14:46 • #10 
Guide
Beautiful reels.
I have a softer spot for Hardy-made reels, as opposed to Hardy's own models. The reels that Hardy made for Scientific Anglers, Sage, LL Bean, Pezon et Michel.
Enjoy!

New Topic Add Reply