It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:20

New Topic Add Reply
What Reel?
Post 16 Nov 2021, 16:45 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I recently received this message from a friend from the far north. Because I've never fished for any of these species I was hoping someone here could offer a suggestion.

Thanks,
Barry

Quote:
I'm looking to get a size 7/8 reel for use in salt water.
My wife and I are planning a trip down to your state and I think I'm needing a reel to match up with my 9' St Croix 7/8 weight rod.

The only reels I have now that would maybe work are a Pflueger Medalist in 1495 and 1495 1/2 and a Diawa / SA System 1 7/8/9 reel.

The Medalist has a great drag, but is a knuckle buster when I use it for Steelhead and the SA reel has little to no drag at all. I do have several spare spools for each reel, so that's a plus.

Would you use either reel for Reds and Spotted Trout and maybe a smaller Snook? and if not maybe you could suggest a replacement??

Re: What Reel?
Post 16 Nov 2021, 18:54 • #2 
Master Guide
Salt water ….. big fish …. Has to be a real with a sealed drag. I’d go Tibor Everglades …

Post 16 Nov 2021, 20:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
budget? that'll make a huge difference.

Post 16 Nov 2021, 21:29 • #4 
Guide
Saltwater - Nautilus CCF or NVG.

Tibor is another great call or Abel SDS or Islander.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 00:13 • #5 
Guide
Here are some disc drag reels that should balance a 9ft St Croix 8wt for saltwater use.
Martin MG7-5S / 9ozWL / WF8-F + 200yds of 20#
Martin MG8 / 9ozWL / WF8-F + 250yds of 20#
Martin MG72 / Multiplier 3:1 / 11ozWL / WF8-F + 200yds of 20#
Orvis Green Mountain II / 10ozWL / WF8-F + 200yds of 20#
I have all of these and they work great. Also they can be bought for under $100 in excellent condition.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 00:30 • #6 
Master Guide
I'm not sure you need a tibor or abel (although they are nice). I've caught bonefish on a valentine 89.

I'm not sold on sealed drag. I think it's hard to go wrong with an abel bg2 or 3n. Also, the tibor everglades mentioned is an excellent real, and it has a cork drag (not a sealed one).

Post 17 Nov 2021, 00:49 • #7 
Master Guide
I like my Galvan Torque. I see guides with Rush Light reels that seem to be super durable.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 07:14 • #8 
Master Guide
I think budget is the biggest factor here... there are lots and lots of nice saltwater reels available, new and used, and prices range from below $100 to several hundred. Another factor that might be considered is mechanical aptitude... it might be fun for some folks to buy a vintage reel that might need some tweaking. Other folks may not ever want to take a reel apart.

I use older saltwater reels that aren't frequently recommended... the Orvis DXR. They have an offset drag that many don't care for but works well and is easily serviced. Spare spools aren't too hard to find. I have them in 5/6, 7/8, and 9/10 and have one 9/10 anti-reverse model.

My real favorites are the old Orvis Odyssey reels. These are drawbar types with a big cork drag (also unsealed). It's a little more difficult to find used ones in nice condition and they are more expensive than the DXRs. Spare spools are hard to find and not too convenient at all to change. I usually spool up the Odysseys with an intermediate line and fish them when I know that's the only line I'll be using. I guess I'd call these quirky reels that aren't for everyone.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 08:12 • #9 
Piscator
I've fished Lamson LP3.5 in the salt 35 years, and it has all the drag I need.
Can also get by with an LP3.

Here's a discussion on disc drag reels:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67897

Post 17 Nov 2021, 12:58 • #10 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
I've fished Lamson LP3.5 in the salt 35 years, and it has all the drag I need.
Can also get by with an LP3.

Here's a discussion on disc drag reels:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67897

The thread referenced above is an excellent resource for the history and mechanisms of disc drag reels. Ron, thanks for putting together all that information.

It was your description of the Ross Gunnison as the “most indestructible, reliable, and unlovable reel ever made” that initially piqued my interest in the Gunnison. I’ve fished the Gunnison 3 more than any reel over the past few years, and I’m pretty confident I could throw that thing off a cliff, dust it off, and continue fishing as if nothing had happened.

I use a Gunnison 4 on my rods in the 7/8 wt range. I think it would be a good candidate for the OP question. I’ve had mine in the salt a few times with no issues, but I primarily fish freshwater. Ron, is there any reason the Gunnison would have trouble in saltwater?

Post 17 Nov 2021, 16:35 • #11 
Piscator
I have several friends who bought Gunnison just for salt.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 16:42 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I like the Sci Angler System Two reels. I use a 7/8 for inshore SW. Tough and reliable. Not hard to find and modestly priced.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 17:16 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Does anyone use the STH reels with the plastic cassette line holders? I always figured clean up would be easier after using in salt.

Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 17 Nov 2021, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 17:21 • #14 
Piscator
I have one of the "lever drag" STH, it's marginally ok, but I wouldn't recommend the cassette STH.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 19:28 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
picketpin52 wrote:
I like the Sci Angler System Two reels. I use a 7/8 for inshore SW. Tough and reliable. Not hard to find and modestly priced.

This! Probably regardless of budget....if it were me.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 19:56 • #16 
Master Guide
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
Does anyone use the STH reels with the plastic cassette line holders? I always figured clean up would be easier after using in salt.

I have one of the more recent interchangeable cassette reels made by Hardy. The cassettes are vey durable but the reel does not seem to be, at least for saltwater use. Discontinued, and probably for good reason...

Post 17 Nov 2021, 20:14 • #17 
Guide
I concur that the Ross Gunnison reels work for inshore saltwater fishing.

Always on the lookout for the least expensive reels that could stand up to saltwater conditions..the Gunnisons were the choice of many of my customers. I have one friend who has landed numerous permit on the G-4.

I see they are not exactly inexpensive these days, and there are probably plenty of other what we would consider "budget" fly reels compared to Tibor, Abel, Nautilus etc.... but most of us would be happy with the performance and durability of the old Gunnisons

Post 05 Feb 2022, 16:43 • #18 
I fish salt water a lot and the System 2 "Made in England" versions with a rinse of the spool and inside have held up for many years with no end in sight..the STH Cartridge is pretty salt water resistant, the components are stainless and brass but the cork drags in these are pretty flimsy by modern standards but adequate..just feels a bit shakey with large running fish IMO.

New Topic Add Reply