It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:42

New Topic Add Reply
SA Concept Reel
Post 11 Nov 2021, 15:42 • #1 
Sport
Does anyone know anything about this reel? My recent interest in glass rods now has me buying up cheap click and pawl reels on eBay... I bought a rim fly M and the seller accidentally sent me this reel. he told me to keep it and he's gonna send out the rim fly asap. very gracious of him. I've searched the forum and google and not found much info on it. It doesn't have any markings on it and seems slightly smaller than my other rim fly M which is a 5/6 reel. Any idea what size line this reel is for? It is cast construction with plastic pawls.

Re: SA Concept Reel
Post 12 Nov 2021, 09:38 • #2 
Piscator
As I recall Kaufmann's Streamborn catalog, this was an entry-level reel introduced in the late 80s or early '90s.
Can't tell you much about it, but we'd love to see inside.
The Phillips-head screw suggests it was one of the first BFR Korea reels.

About the same time, JW Young offered plastic click-pawl in the entry-level Rapier, but the plastic Young reel looked like the Neuvex series ceramic-composite frames.

Post 12 Nov 2021, 10:44 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
At one time or another, that reel was probably sold blister packed in discount stores, preloaded with backing and line, probably a WF5 or WF6. It also was probably included in blister packed starter outfits that included a 9' moderate action graphite rod, again probably a 5 or 6 weight. If it spins and clicks, perfectly good utllity reel/ knockabout.

Post 12 Nov 2021, 11:53 • #4 
Sport
Cool. I didn't think a had anything too special but its a reel and it works. Good excuse to buy another rod....

New Topic Add Reply