It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:13

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Nov 2021, 09:10 • #1 
Master Guide
Hi Guys!
Iv got a slightly off the beaten path issue. I have a FF856-5 that likes a heavy reel to cast well. it feels tip heavy and stiff with a cabelas cahill one, or a 67ss (both of which weigh about the same as a 1494 from what I can tell). The 67ss weighs 7.2 oz loaded and the cahill one weighs 6.8 oz loaded. The rod feels great and casts significantly better with a 1495.5 which weighs in at 8.2 oz loaded.

the problem is that this rod casts well with all of the same 5, 6 and 7 weight lines that I like on my 7-7.5 ft glass rods and those rods prefer reels that weigh in in the 7 oz loaded range. I dont really want to spend my days spooling and unspooling lines on and off of 1495.5 spools just for this rod, so what I am curious about is adding weight to just the body of a 1494.

the scheme is that I would have 2 1494 reels - one is normal and balances the 7-7.5' rods. The second, Ideally, would have about an extra 1-1.2 oz of weight in the body of the reel. this would allow me to swap spools between the two reels and run the spools/lines on the 856 with a loaded weight of about 8.2 oz, or the same spools on the shorter rods with a loaded weight of about 7 oz.

I know the common advice is to add lead core to the spool, but I need the weight to be in the reel, not the spool. how much weight does a conversion to a onepfoot reel foot get you? Id rather not do anything that "destroys" the reel, but with that being said I have a lead pot and a lot of nearly pure lead alloy. It would take about 3cc of lead to do the trick. are there any other tricks to add weight to a 1494? perhaps an alloy reel foot could be drilled out from the bottom, and lead cast in to add mass? Im willing to do some work to make this happen, just not sure on direction.

Thanks Guys!

Post 11 Nov 2021, 09:18 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You want to be able to swap spools, so I guess that rules out filling the arbor with lead shot through the hole provided for that purpose. Not much of a good option anyway.

Best place for "balance" weight is close to the axis of the rod so that rotational force/twist on the wrist is minimized. Sticky wheel weights might be deployed on the foot and the lower portion of the frame. Easiest, though, is to weight the reel seat to liking.

Post 11 Nov 2021, 09:37 • #3 
Piscator
I've always though the lead-shot thing was a bad idea and a marketing ruse from Pflueger.

Lead-core trolling line below you backing, however, works great; this Sal-Trout was set up to balance a particularly heavy H-I 8-1/2' combo (Black River, Wards M/27) using 40 yds lead core below the backing.

Image Image

Post 11 Nov 2021, 11:27 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
It may be a stupid idea, but how how much weight would the OnePfoot stainless steel ratchet plate and drag adjustment screw add?

Another possibility would be to ask the new owners of OnePfoot if they would make you a OnePfoot, foot in brass or even stainless.

I once had a three screw (or or is a 4 screw?) YoungPfoot that the previous owner made me that is much heavier than its aluminum counterpart.

Post 11 Nov 2021, 11:46 • #5 
Piscator
No offense, but zinc die-cast to machined stainless isn't much weight difference, as also with heavy plated brass to (smaller) machined brass or stainless.

Post 11 Nov 2021, 11:56 • #6 
Guide
The best reel weight is no reel weight, IMHO. Fly reels cannot be too light..only too heavy.

The great thing about fiberglass rods is they feel fine with the vintage, often heavier, reels. Same with bamboo, even heavier

When a few feet of flyline is out past the rod tip, off the reel, while you are casting/fishing......where is the balance?

Post 11 Nov 2021, 12:38 • #7 
Piscator
that's about a two-decade-old dumb argument.

Certainly a long tip-heavy rod can add damaging torsion to your elbow.

A rod too butt heavy dampens feel and increasing tailing-loop tendency

Everyone will have their preference, and will find it with different set-ups - the entire balance idea is simply to have a static reference.
Nor was this the question asked on this thread..
If the OP wants to know how to increase the weight of his reel, give him the benefit of the doubt that his choice is not your business.

Post 11 Nov 2021, 12:53 • #8 
Master Guide
Bamboozle - No stupid ideas. I looked over their site today. The stainless ratchet plate and screw might add some weight, Id guess 1/10oz or so, but that's something.. I had wondered about a brass foot. I think Bulldog is right, the brass wont get me all the way there, but if Im willing to drill out material (can do at home) or send it with a friend to have even more material removed on a mill, I can use my bullet casting tools to cast the foot full of lead. That might get me close. 1.2 oz of lead has a volume of about 3cc.

Phil - I prefer my rods to balance horizontally near the end of the cork. The ff856 accomplishes this with the 1495.5. It doesn't balance anywhere near the grip with the lighter class of reels discussed in my first post.

it occurred to me that I might be able to slip a lead rod inside the grip/black of the rod itself, but I would want that to be reversible without " damaging" the rod. I need to look at how this rods real seat works when I get home.

Post 11 Nov 2021, 13:33 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Lead golf club tape applied to the back plate and top of foot might get you there, the tape might even fit inside the back plate if cut to fit the area not covered by brake and ratchet. This same lead tape could also be applied to the exposed parts of the reel seat, or even the cork. I once read about someone removing the butt cap or plug and placing lead weight inside the reel seat. then replacing the plug.
However, me and myself would opt for buying a 1495 and the additional line, if the balance bothered me. That would let me have two rigs ready at the same time. The larger reel would also allow adding more weight with LC line at about 40' per ounce. I doubt it would matter to me, though, I have used my FF85 #8 with 1494, 1495, 1498 and as I recall preferred it with the 1494, I think I like some rods to be tip heavy.

Post 11 Nov 2021, 13:34 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I always thought the best way to add weight to a 1494 was to go with a 1495.

Barry

Post 11 Nov 2021, 14:42 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
BrookieBoy:

If I am reading your original post correctly, you need 1.5 ounces of additional weight added to one 1494 frame. If so...

I may not be a metallurgist or expert, but I have a funny feeling that the difference between a PLASTIC 1494 ratchet plate, a PLASTIC drag knob and their stainless counterparts from OnePfoot, plus a brass OnePfoot reel foot (if they will fabricate one for you) MAY just equal 1.5 ounces or come dang close.

This is what I do know based on my scale that only measures a low as .01 of an ounce and some spare Medalist parts I had lying around:

First off, the plastic ratchet plate from a 1494 doesn’t even register on my scale nor does the original plastic drag knob.

On my scale, the difference in weight between an original Medalist reel foot and an OnePfoot aluminum foot is .3 oz. I don’t know how much heavier a brass version OnePfoot would be than the aluminum version, I just know it would be heavier. Rather than speculate, I would call OnePfoot and ask them if they would be kind enough to weigh the stainless drag plate and drag knob for comparison and while you are at it, ask them if they would fabricate you a OnePfoot in brass.

Other ideas would be adding sculpted pillars and a round line guard to one frame. I assume the sculpted pillars weigh more than the originals and POSSIBLY, a round line guard may weigh more than the Dimolite original.

I have the Dimolite parts lying around and could weigh them if you ask the OnePfoot folks to weigh a round line guard.

Good luck!

Post 11 Nov 2021, 14:54 • #12 
Master Guide
...or you could put a rubber crutch tip over the rod butt with some nickels inside it. ;)

Post 11 Nov 2021, 15:42 • #13 
Administrator
BrookieBoy wrote:
The rod feels great and casts significantly better with a 1495.5 which weighs in at 8.2 oz loaded.

I would suggest dealing with the line swaps for a season and fish the rod with the larger reel. Make sure you like the heavier rig before you do something irreversible in your friend's shop.

If you really do like that weight, and want it in a 1494 frame, you could cast a piece of lead to fit. Fasten the lead to the back plate with a couple of small screws through the ventilation holes. You can remove/modify the lead as necessary.

Tom

Post 11 Nov 2021, 16:39 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Personally, I've never required much of a reason to purchase more reels and lines. :hat

Post 13 Nov 2021, 15:35 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know what lines you use, but I would just spring for another line (and reel) or just make do with what you have. You say "casts better with" a lighter or heavier reel, but is the inconvenience that great?

The other option is just weight the butt section of the rod. Switching lines is a big pain. Switching spools is a lesser pain, and just dealing with whatever reel/line is there is the least pain for me. 5wt line on a 4wt rod. That will work most of the time. I much prefer having multiple reel/line pairings than switching spools.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 13:01 • #16 
Master Guide
@brookieboy. How much does your 856-5 weigh?

Post 16 Nov 2021, 13:24 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
put on all the Pfoot parts, weigh.
Then get as many of the Pfoot counterbalances as needed, install them on the back plate of the reel. It might look a bit Goth though..

Post 16 Nov 2021, 14:52 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Couldn't you buy a heavier reel for the price of all those pfoot parts?

New Topic Add Reply