It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:59

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Nov 2021, 01:27 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Here's a Sharpes Brook 3 1/8" reel.

Are these the same reels as the Penn Gold Medal Freshwater Series, but with a different finish?

Post 05 Nov 2021, 02:20 • #2 
Guide
Short answer is Yes, and made by Sharpe. But, if I recall correctly, the larger Sharpe’s reels in the series (Trout, Menteith and Don) are full cage reels while the Penns were all half cage.

These reels were also sold in the U.K. under the name of the John Norris tackle shop, again as half cage.

Post 05 Nov 2021, 12:53 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the information.

Post 08 Nov 2021, 15:36 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
see also,
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1394#p25388

Quote:
I asked Don MacKenzie of Sharpe's of Aberdeen http://www.sharpes.net/(the company has been re-formed after an number of different ownerships), and I quote:-

"You're wrong you know! - Sharpe's actually made the original J S Sharpe and Gordon reels themselves - these looked like a copy of some old Hardy Reels, with a nickel silver circular line guide - they were not reversible. During this period and later, they actually made some reels for Bogdan. They later made more versions of the Gordons, without the line guide and reversible. The Python and Serpent, along with the Farlows "Ambassador" were copies of the then existing Sharpe's "Aquarex" series of reels, made in the Seaforth Road factory. This ceased in the late 70's, early 80's. The next reels to be made were the Menteith/Don type with spindle drag system. The Spool and Cage were machined in ********* - the rest by Sharpes, and assembled in Aberdeen - the anodising was again done in *********. The Penn 1 through 4 were identical to the Sharpe's reels, but in hard gold anodised finish."

and, https://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?p=23506&sid=7d35f4d6ce42c809fdafc7ccc587a34f#p23506

Quote:
Here is the reply to my question to Penn:-

Sir,

Thank you for your email.

The reel in question was one of four models (imaginatively called Models 1, 2, 3 & 4) manufactured under license by Sharpe's in Scotland for Penn.

These reels sold reasonably well for a couple of years, until the massive increase in Far East imports lead to them being discontinued.

Glad to hear that the reel still performs well - hopefully should continue to do so for many years to come.

Kind Regards
David Caulfield
Penn Europe

Post 08 Nov 2021, 20:41 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Doug--Thanks

Post 09 Nov 2021, 10:40 • #6 
Guide
“During this period and later, they actually made some reels for Bogdan.” Those would have been the 100 Lee Wulff Ultimate reels.

Post 09 Nov 2021, 20:03 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
Doug--Thanks

I have a bit of a thing for Sharpes reels and rods ;-)

love these Penn/Sharpes reels, every time they come up on ebay the price tag gives me sticker shock. I don't have one yet, have to nerve myself up to spending that much..

Post 10 Nov 2021, 09:18 • #8 
Piscator
When I bought this one, the price was modest - at least under $100

There was also a UK retailer who closed out new reels over a period of 4 to 5 years.

New Topic Add Reply