It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:29

New Topic Add Reply
Martin click checks...?
Post 05 Nov 2021, 15:25 • #1 
Guide
In the mid 80s, before I got my first of (according to my wife many) Hardy reels, I fished Martin reels with screw & pillar construction. they all had internally running spools & had rather nicely shaped reel feet. I cannot remember what models they were, but they worked quite well. Eventually I got one of their multipliers that I really enjoyed. If I remember correctly, the Martin reels had a bar sitting on the pawl with a coil spring bearing down on it, which was controlled by a cam-style check regulator (a little knob on the back).

All my Hardy reels have a leaf spring pressing down on the working pawl. There were similar arrangements on the BFR-made reels I used.

Which click-check system is more durable?

Post 05 Nov 2021, 20:01 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Just to get this started, I'll say the Martin, if nothing else because the coil spring is so easy to replace. As a practical matter, not much difference if either gets a little lube now and then.

But there is a lot of info on them to search right here using that function (upper right of the frame).

There are basic differences between flat springs and coil springs--both used in different designs for the same application--that probably apply, but I'm not sure how significant they are in a fly reel with the relatively low load on the spring.

Post 06 Nov 2021, 13:58 • #3 
Guide
Thanks Whirlpool for your info & your kick start.

I actually looked at the top right of the main page, looking for the usual rectangle with a magnifying glass for the research function. It seems I missed the tiny icon altogether. I'll try now to go down that rabbit hole.

(I was sure though, that there would be a lot of information on Martins, as they were important US-made reels, at affordable prices. Even I could afford a decent Martin in the early 80s.)

The reason why I inquired about the checks with coil springs is that I have picked up a 3.25" Argus at a reasonable price. It has a coil spring setup.
I was hoping too that "Bulldog" would give his expert opinion on my original question.

Post 08 Nov 2021, 14:42 • #4 
Piscator
the problem with Martin is no spare pawls out there, and Hardy will always provide springs and pawls

Post 23 Nov 2021, 16:55 • #5 
Guide
Thanks "Bulldog". I hope that the makers of Argus reels will be able to provide me with a few spare parts like screws, springs, perhaps a pawl. Don't expect to have things go wrong, but if they do.....

New Topic Add Reply