It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:25

New Topic Add Reply
Hardy Bougle Agate
Post 27 Oct 2021, 12:35 • #1 
Going through the reels today and came across one that I’ve never lined up. Got it several years ago for a heck of a deal and put it up on the shelf. I had initially wanted to save it for a bamboo rod but think it will be too light for that purpose. I have other Bougles I regularly fish with but for some reason I just can’t bring myself to line this one up. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one on the water being used. Who out there puts one to use? What type of rod are you using it on, bamboo, graphite, fiberglass?

Re: Hardy Bougle Agate
Post 27 Oct 2021, 12:57 • #2 
Piscator
My Bougle MkIV sans agate was prime on Fisher 9' Emerald 3/4-wt

I keep trying to think of an agate reel on glass, but all mine are matched with cane.

Post 27 Oct 2021, 14:50 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
that's a beautiful reel..

a little bit of lead core line spooled on first, will make it as heavy as it needs to be ;-)

I have one agate reel, a Shakespeare, have only used it on cane so far.

one of the modern glass rods in a wild color, might be a nice match.. GEM Skues suggested that all rods should be painted a sort of pale blue-gray to match the skies (in England I guess), find a rod that matches your agate..

Post 28 Oct 2021, 14:59 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I lusted for one of those reels, but I'm too uncoordinated to do the RHW thing which was the only option. At one time, there were three versions of this reel, a Bougle Agate I at around 2-1/2" an Agate II & an Agate III all made for the Japanese market. The Bougle Agate reels that weren't sold in Japan were sold in the UK and the I & II are scarce & collectable.

In 2004 Hardy offered the Bougle Agate III (Model HER620) internationally and introduced a "champagne & BRG" Bougle III LWT with no line guard for dorks like me that was a tad lighter, but I never chased one of those down.

That being said, if I am not mistaken, the Bougle Agate III is 3" with a stated weight of 119 grams or about 4.20 oz which makes it close in size & weight to the most recent reissue 3" St. Georges that come in at 4.23 oz. Hardy gave the capacity for both the Bougle III Agate and the Bougle III LWT as DT4 + 70 meters of 20lb BUT in the catalog it said that was for Gel Spun not Dacron.

Coincidentally, I have a 3" St George hanging off my 8'0" 4wt Winston Retro and it balances right at the winding check. I also have a 3-1/8 Perfect (5.42 oz) on a 8'6" 5wt smooth blank McFarland Spruce Creek so agate & glass do go together if you so choose to initiate the marriage.

If I owned that reel (and could crank right handed ;)), it would be hanging off an 8'0" 4 or 5wt glass rod. It might be a tad light for bamboo rods longer than 6'6" unless you like a tip heavy feel.

Enjoy!!

New Topic Add Reply