It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:32

New Topic Add Reply
Chipped Spool Margin
Post 15 Sep 2021, 10:48 • #1 
Guide
Can anyone make a suggestion on how to fix this chipped spool (JB Weld?) ?
from a Shakespeare Speedex 2800 made by JW Young without replacing the spool. Speedex’s are hard to find in USA and I don’t recall if there is a corresponding JW Young model which could widen replacement options.

Re: Chipped Spool Margin
Post 15 Sep 2021, 13:33 • #2 
Guide
I have used JB Weld to repair a line gouge on a Farlows Grenaby, and used it to repair a cracked plastic bushing on a Shakespeare 2052DA spinning reel with good results. On the Grenaby, I applied a small layer of JB weld, let it cure, and then repeated the process until I built the JB Weld up to the appropriate level. I smoothed the repair with fine sandpaper.

Since the repair on your Speedex is quite a bit larger than a line gouge, I would recommend you construct a rudimentary mold using thin plastic and tape to hold the JB Weld in place as it cures. After it fully cures, you can final shape and smooth the repair with fine sandpaper.

Post 15 Sep 2021, 13:40 • #3 
Administrator
A better photo of the chip might help. Is this a wide spool or narrow spool reel? Any idea why the chip came off?

You might be better off posting in the Wanted section for a replacement spool. I view JB Weld as a material for filling holes and grooves, not as a structural material. I wouldn't want that repair to come loose while you are using the palming rim.

Tom

Post 16 Sep 2021, 21:09 • #4 
Guide
Chip photo

Narrow spool 3 1/2 diameter, don’t know why it chipped but was lent out and maybe got knocked around too much.

Post 24 Oct 2021, 14:50 • #5 
Guide
I wouldn't use JB-Weld for that large of a structural repair. If you are determined to repair it I would use fiberglass repair material similar to what an auto-body shop uses. You can get a small repair kit from the Home Depot. You will need to make a form with release agent applied, then sand to final shape.

New Topic Add Reply