It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:13

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Chinese fly reels.
Post 12 Sep 2021, 11:29 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Personally, I find it helpful to know which reels are a good value for the money. For my personal gear, I rarely buy from companies like Maxcatch, Piscifun, etc. Fly fishing is my main hobby, so I indulge other values and preferences over the price.

But I always like keeping track of good values, as I have several friends who I am pushing to try fly fishing. Starting someone with a quality reel at an entry-level price is a good entry point to the sport (and more reels). Quality control from Chinese brands has really improved.

Post 12 Sep 2021, 12:42 • #27 
Piscator
There's something to be said in favor of buying reels from historic fishing cultures.
Very simply, they have goals about reel function.

Image Image

Post 12 Sep 2021, 12:54 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
I have two Chinese Medalists, a Cabela's that I picked up just because it was discounted a lot and an Eagle Claw (I think) that came with something else. None of these are useless but they sure were not bargains either, even at low prices they aren't something I'd recommend or buy again. Add to the low quality the fact that parts are unlikely to ever be available and that next weeks batch will be somehow different, they simply do not appeal to me.
Then too, I have a bucketful USA Medalists and a half bucket of Sal Trouts, many/most of them cost less to my door than any Asian reel,

Post 05 Nov 2021, 08:46 • #29 
Chinese reel (and other gear) falls into two different categories, namely those who bear a brand name (Grey´s etc) and no-name (or some such) products.I bought some no-name (well, I guess Maxcatch is a kind of brand) fiberglass rods and also two Sogayilang (?) reels. The rods I´m perfectly satisfied with. Good rodds and great value for money. The (dirt cheap) reels felt surprisingly good until, my first outing with one of them. I guess it´s the IAR-bearing that is acting up and the fault may well be mine (I greased the spindle...) but still... Long story short: I prefer traditional click/pawl reels on my glass rods. Since I don´t fish tuna or anything else "Big Game"I do not really need a brake other than the old manual one. On my old glass rods I, of course, use classic reels of similar vintage.

As I see it a fly reel doesn´t have to do much but it has to work and don´t give up on you while you´re out fishing.

(And, if I´m premitted to mention it here, I often use old Medaiists and such when I´m fishing with graphite rods.)

Post 24 Nov 2021, 14:30 • #30 
Sport
Hey, if it works, it works. In my case, I only fish for sub 3lb fish on my fly rod, so my MaxCatch click pawl reel does just fine. Having owned a Battenkill and Ross Colorado, I will say that the tolerances aren't as great on the MaxCatch, but it gets the job done. I could see the need for a nicer reel if one frequently uses their drag, but for lighter duty fishing, it is more than enough.

The only instance in where I won't skimp out on reels is with conventional tackle- due to the intricate machining required, I find that the established manufacturers tend to create a smoother, better performing product.

Post 26 Nov 2021, 12:26 • #31 
Sport
I have 2 known made in China reels, they both Orvis Battenkills and they look like they belong on a classic fly rod. My other suspect reel is a LL Bean that came with a Double L outfit about 10 years ago.
I've bought nothing but Hardy Marquis, and CFO since. My first reels were a Swedish Abu, and a Pflueger Medalist, both of which I still own.

Post 26 Nov 2021, 16:01 • #32 
Piscator
If you have an Orvis Battenkill not made in England, it was made in Korea.
If you've ever visited Korea, every water body is lined with fishermen.

Post 26 Nov 2021, 17:17 • #33 
Sport
Bamboozle, my two Battenkill reels are the current versions of the disc, and the clicker. They both have a sticker on the foot that says made in China.
I am looking for a good copy of a spring and pawl Battenkill in the 5/6 size (if that is 3" diameter).

Post 01 Dec 2021, 13:10 • #34 
Master Guide
i have 2 reels i got from anglers roost years ago and they are among my favorites still going strong and look great. im sure they were from china but IMHO they represent an excellent value. Like all of us here, I do have a lot of glass fly rods but the only ones i fish regularly anymore are modern, light weight S glass so i don't use any of my old reels with those. I was eyeballing a Ross Colorado since they revamped them about a year ago. Told myself if they go on sale this year for black friday i was going to pull the trigger but they went up in price $35 instead! Its ok, im 63 so i don't really need to buy any fishing equipment that's going to last more than 15 years anyway.

Flip side of that coin is that i probably could have bought 2 Colorado reels and been very happy with them for less than all the $$ i spent on used and cheap reels over the years.

Post 01 Dec 2021, 20:43 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I have exactly one, an Orvis CFO III Disc, goldenish color. I had read all the opinions yeah and nah and wanted to get one to see for myself. It is a very fine reel, made to close tolerances, nice color (goes perfectly with a Fenwick FF705) and not overly loud as some other reels are. Did I need this reel for my FF705 and catching Gills and Bass, no. Would I buy another, no. Do I regret this one, no. Do I prefer other reels, yes. But. I'll never knock the quality of this Chinese made CFO.

Post 01 Dec 2021, 21:00 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
Some are good, some are not good....just like reels made anywhere else.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply