It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:05

New Topic Add Reply
Youngs in the salt
Post 08 Aug 2021, 12:35 • #1 
Guide
A lot of the Beaudex and Pridex reels are listed as Salmon reels. Makes me wonder if they can withstand light use in the salt and rinsing afterwards? Thinking of getting one for Striper. Anybody use these in the salt?

Re: Youngs in the salt
Post 10 Aug 2021, 07:16 • #2 
Piscator
lpirrone, a way-back active member, used his Landex offshore for west coast false albacore.
The finish of a Young is similar to my original Lew's that fished 30 years in the salt with care. But noteworthy, my guide buddy killed one in a season by not taking care of it.

Boeshield is your friend here. Use it both before you go fishing and after you return.
The part most at risk are the pawl springs, since they're hardened steel and can corrosion-crack. Boeshield.

Post 10 Aug 2021, 08:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I used a Pflueger 1495RC for my first few years fishing for stripers and it actually still works though it doesn't look real pretty. A thorough rinsing is required after every use and peeling off the backing and flushing the salt out on a regular basis would be smart idea. Salt will get trapped up against the spool by the backing and cause corrosion.

Post 19 Aug 2021, 10:42 • #4 
Sport
Wow I woke up thinking about the same thing this morning. I just had my offer accepted for a home in Brookings Oregon and I can't wait to play with my fly stuff on the saltwater. I will be able to wake up, jump in the truck and be launched in 15 minutes.
Almost a year after officially retiring I will finally be fishing regularly.

I have no idea what fly's to use yet but I'm going to figure it out. I have two fiber Fenwicks with matching Martin SD910's.

Post 25 Aug 2021, 10:07 • #5 
Guide
Just to note there are more recent Young reels made for saltwater.

I have a Reflex Saltwater disc drag 3.5" model 1480 that is a handy reel, and shouldn't cost much if you can find one.

Upmarket is the bar stock disc drag Sea Venture that came in 3.5" standard arbor model 3750 or large arbour model 3751, the large arbor only 3.75" model 3761, the standard arbor 4" model 3780 and large arbor model 3781.

You can see them all on the Young site: jwyoungandsons.com in the Previous Models section (very nicely done BTW).

Post 26 Feb 2024, 08:32 • #6 
To revive an old thread, by a newbee...

Large(ish) arbour (mid by today's standards), one of the last of the line in the early noughties, the rearer 3790 with a 3791 spool.

Post 26 Feb 2024, 08:52 • #7 
Piscator
I've never seen the mid-arbor spool, but Sea Venture is a choice reel.

Image Image

The same drag was offered in Neuvex reels with ceramic-composite frame and spool at the $120 price point, but no one would buy them.

Image Image

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 28 Feb 2024, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Feb 2024, 09:54 • #8 
It's really only just "mid-arbor" at that!

4 3/8" from memory so the larger of the series.

Post 27 Feb 2024, 20:10 • #9 
Piscator
thanks for showing that.

3-1/2" is far and away the most prevalent Young fly reel size, and MW width has perfect DT6 capacity, and just right for most salt lines to WF9.
Image Image
Image Image

Post 28 Feb 2024, 07:26 • #10 
Guide
As Bulldog stated , Boeshield is your friend , but saltwater anything is not , especially with some of the older reels , bakelites ect . I used an Orvis Magnalite for Stripers off York beach many years back , graduated to the Orvis SSS (STH) not long after , same thing with maintaining and saltwater , but are a blast to fish with , was lucky enough to score a SSS 9/10 in LH anti-reverse , obviously much better in the drag department , not train stopping by any means , but has taken Stripers off the shore in the 30”-40” department with no worries , though there have been some Monster Blues that have really put it to the test , still enjoy them .

New Topic Add Reply