It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 04:18

New Topic Add Reply
Martin M9D
Post 03 Aug 2021, 18:08 • #1 
Sport
There is very little information about this reel on the internet so I thought I’d make a post about my recent acquisition. I imagine it is a modern reel, but it still claims to be made in the USA. I was unable to find anything about it but decided to take a flier on it, and since no one bid against me I picked it up for basically the cost of the used Wulff TT line. I figured if nothing else I might be able to use it as a parts reel for the model 72, as I figured the disc drag was probably alike enough to for parts swapping. I have not taken it apart, but from what I see that seems to be so.

It is much more than a parts reel though. Very solid construction, tight tolerances and a smooth drag. Spool is a heavy die cast with a palming rim. I prefer this handle knob to the 72. Has the on/off click feature, which I never thought was important, but after spooking carp in one spot I was fishing while stripping line for the cast I realized silence is golden.

Edit - the simplified description of the M9D is that it is a modern direct drive version of the Model 72 with a die cast spool and palming rim. It weighs 11.86 oz with the TT 8/9 weight line on, the 72 weighs in at exactly 11 oz with 7 wt sink tip WF.

Re: Martin M9D
Post 03 Aug 2021, 19:49 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Neat, So it is 1:1 retrieve? It's definitely a looker, and I'm sure the disk drag is strong. I have an MG8 and MG10 that have really nice, strong drags.

I wonder when this was built.

Post 03 Aug 2021, 20:53 • #3 
Master Guide
Don't neglect the flashy two-tone spools:

Post 04 Aug 2021, 08:24 • #4 
Sport
Ah, yes, the MG8, I guess that would be the most accurate description of this, an MG8 with a palming rim. yes it is a 1 to 1 retrieve. Does the MG8 have an on/off clicker?

The reel in the photo, is that an M9D? Very sharp looking.

Post 05 Aug 2021, 11:50 • #5 
Piscator
Shrimpman, you find all the cool toys

New Topic Add Reply