It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:39

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Jul 2021, 03:47 • #1 
Sport
I realize there are more Medalist aficionados on here but I'm hoping for one SA expert to answer a question. I have around 20 SA reels (both #1 and #2's all BFR, plus, a few of Hardy manufacture) but I saw one on Ebay recently that I have not seen before, a system 2, 5/6 LC. Does anyone know what the LC designation means. I assume the "L" means light but the "C" ?? Information on SA reels is harder to come by than many old reels but hopefully someone has the answer. Thank you

Post 29 Jul 2021, 05:34 • #2 
Master Guide
LC stands for light click, these reels are click pawl rather than disc drag. I don’t know why they made a system 2 c&p reel when they had the system 1 reels already, but they are nice reels.

Tim

Post 29 Jul 2021, 11:21 • #3 
Sport
You are the second person to tell me this, I was skeptical the first time I heard it but am now becoming more of a believer. The posting on Ebay did not show a picture of the drag mechanism but I am going to ask the owner of he would post one. Wish someone would write a definitive book/article(s) about all the different configurations of SA reels that were manufactured. Thank you very much

Post 29 Jul 2021, 12:08 • #4 
Administrator
I wouldn't ask the seller to post more photos. You made an extra effort to learn how the LC reel is different. Why make it easy for the other bidders?

If you ask the seller to answer every question, photograph every angle, and remove all doubt in your mind, that removes the doubt in everyone's mind. If the other bidders have more doubt than you, you have a better chance at a lower price.

Tom

Post 29 Jul 2021, 13:09 • #5 
Piscator
:like

Post 29 Jul 2021, 13:13 • #6 
Sport
Point well taken

Post 29 Jul 2021, 16:40 • #7 
Master Guide
Here’s a quick pic of the inside of my LC4/5

They are cool reels

Post 30 Jul 2021, 14:13 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
my 6/7 LC,

they are fine little reels though strangely small. This one is about 2 3/4" diameter, I use it for 5wt lines as I want a faster retrieve on the heavier lines than that small spool gives.

Post 30 Jul 2021, 16:38 • #9 
Administrator
Is this thing on?

Anyone else want to post photos and help increase the price of an ongoing auction? I know you are trying to help the original poster. Google indexes our site all the time. Their search spider is online more than me! Not to mention, I'm sure forum members are more than happy to wait for troutbum243 - just like one dog waits for another.

Tom

Post 30 Jul 2021, 17:17 • #10 
Piscator
:like

Post 31 Jul 2021, 15:53 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I had both of these reels years ago (4/5 and 6/7).I am pretty sure they came out before the System One series.They were probably more expensive to manufacture than the later ones.

Post 31 Jul 2021, 16:09 • #12 
Piscator
No, System One and System Two were first, followed by System Two-L and later Two-LC.
The difference is machine finish on the System Two frames and spools.
System Two-LC got its own check design.

Post 01 Aug 2021, 17:06 • #13 
Administrator
Some eBay advice. If at all possible, rely on your own search abilities before asking questions. It's not that people don't want to answer questions. The problem is that we LOVE to answer questions (see above). As I noted, that helps everyone, whether they are a forum member or not. In this particular case, Google had not indexed the discussion by the time the auction ended. Perhaps a forum member with a last second snipe got lucky.

An unlimited Google search will come back with a lot of trash. Limit your searches to web sites likely to have answers, not click bait. First off, the comprehensive, site provided, forum search is in the upper right corner of the page. However, our forum search is not perfect. It will not index on terms with fewer than 3 letters, such as "LC". If you need a more complete search, use Google. Add site:fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ to the end of your query. That expression limits the search to only our forum. Use site:classicflyrodforum.com/forum/ for Clark's forum and site:reeltalk.orcaonline.org/ for ORCA.

There are other good, high information web sites for vintage gear fanatics. Make a note of them when you find them.

Tom

Post 01 Aug 2021, 18:41 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
No, System One and System Two were first, followed by System Two-L and later Two-LC.
The difference is machine finish on the System Two frames and spools.
System Two-LC got its own check design.

It probably deserves another topic (which is probably out there already) but the general order:
  • Hardy System reels (marquis clones)
  • Second Generation
    - System 1 One (Diawa)
    - System 2 Two (made in England. probably BFR)
  • System1 and System2 (not marked made in england but the same disk drag) I'm doing this from memory, but I'm pretty sure this was a thing.
  • System 4/5 6/7 , ... 11/12 not marked made in England (disk drag) I have an 1112 on one of my spey rods. It's a solid reel.
  • System 4/5LC, ...
  • System 3 (very nice disk drag that was made by lamson, ross or young I think). Fairly rare and expensive.
  • It looks like SA has a new set of system reels out.
I'm sure there is a better reference out there someplace, but these reels are interesting. I fish my System 1 fairly often.

[2/15/22 made a couple minor edits. Tom]

Post 01 Aug 2021, 20:30 • #15 
Piscator
No, it's System One and System Two and has nothing to do with Hardy-made reels and Fisher glass rods.
They never made a numeral System 1 and System 2 until the large arbor reels of this millennium.

Post 02 Aug 2021, 16:59 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I never noticed that in "System One", "One" is always spelled out. The "System One" is actually the easy reel to get a handle on. The System Two had enough different versions that I get confused.

Post 02 Aug 2021, 19:03 • #17 
Sport
Hardy did make "Scientific Angler System Reels" for SA they are a clone of a Marquis and are marked Made By Hardy. Both System 1's and 2's were made in England by BFR, I own several of each and they all are clearly marked as such. I think it is safe to say that if a SA 1 or 2 is not marked Made in England it was made off shore (Japan or Korea) I own a few of these as well and they seem to be as well made as the BFR reels, BUT, they are generally less expensive. l You are correct there is a lot of confusion with the System 2's because they made so many different styles and types it is hard to keep track of all of them. One thing is certain however, the price on them is increasing, when I started buying them a few years ago you could find lots of them for not a lot of money, that is not the case today.

Post 02 Aug 2021, 19:32 • #18 
Administrator
The System One with the number spelled out* was made by Daiwa for SA in the mid 80s. They sold the System One 456 and the System One 789. Both are click drag reels that last and last and last. They are a good match for glass rods. Daiwa sold essentially the same reels as the Regal Strike 706 and 708, respectively. The spools even interchange. The BFR made System Two reels came out after the System One.

The System 1 and System 2 reels came later. I don't know where or when they were made.

Tom

* Actually, to pick up all of them at once on eBay use a search like "system fly reel (one, two, 1, 2)". That will pick up 'system fly reel' with any of the terms in the parentheses.

Post 03 Aug 2021, 07:20 • #19 
Sport
If we keep this thread going long enough perhaps more people with more info on SA reels will chime in and give us all more info on a very good reel that sort of flies under the radar

Post 03 Aug 2021, 10:45 • #20 
Piscator
System 4 and up Hardy-made reels and matching Fisher glass rods were made from 1971-79, and are not related to the topic of this thread.

When Fisher-made glass rods were replaced with metal-ferrule System G, System One and System Two reels in various sizes were also introduced.
I bought a System Two-L in 1985. Our OP's topic reel came later.
System One was still made in 1994, because Billy Trimble replaced his Marryat with one that year.

Post 03 Aug 2021, 14:17 • #21 
Sport
Interesting about the differences in how the 1's and One's denote different manufacturers, I did not know that. Obviously there is a lot about SA reels I don't know. I started using SA reels many years ago on a steelhead trip when my reel failed and my buddy let me borrow his SA2, 8/9 after using it for a week I was convinced these were good reels. I purchased a few more over the years but it wasn't til about 2 yrs ago I became interested in the history and many different models, my wife would say I am now obsessed, I prefer the word interested. I pulled out my System Ones (1's) and found one that does not have either System One or System 1 marked on it, it's all black, a small 456 on faceplate and marked Made in England. I will try and post a pic of it but I am not sure I can do it

Post 03 Aug 2021, 17:29 • #22 
Master Guide
I bought a Sysrem 1, made in England right around 1990. They are nice reels, but the click
Is not as nice to my ears as the older Daiwa model.

Post 04 Aug 2021, 06:36 • #23 
Sport
I was unable to post the pics of the 456 reel and unfortunately in the process I was unable to post anything, but I believe through the prompt attention and help of the Mod (Tom) I am now OK. Not sure I want to try and post the pic again I may crash the whole forum

Post 04 Aug 2021, 06:52 • #24 
Administrator
Can't find out until you try. Post the photos and see how it works.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply