It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Jul 2021, 08:42 • #1 
Sport
Recently
purchased a 7'6" T&T heirloom and I am looking for a reel to balance it out. Any suggestions?

Post 07 Jul 2021, 09:55 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
the Heirlooms are comparatively heavy blanks.
So, I think any 3wt reel would work - no need to search-out the lightest.

I use a Hardy Featherweight on my 7'6" #4 Heirloom, and it works well.
So, that, or even the smaller Flyweight, would be my choice.

A good, less-expensive, and a bit heavier option would be the 3" JW Young Beaudex.

Common, well-regarded, high-quality small 3wt reels like Orvis CFO, JA Forbes Avon, Cortland CRI, etc are much lighter, and unless you really like a more forward balance, and "tip heavy" rig; I would shy away from those.

Got some money burning a hole in your pocket? A 3" (or smaller) Hardy 'Bougle' would be pretty perfect on this rod.

Post 07 Jul 2021, 17:39 • #3 
Guide
Really nice purchase. That rod is one of my favorite rods.
A 3.0 oz (empty) reel will balance it 1” above the grip.

Post 08 Jul 2021, 07:52 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I know the rod, but I don't own it so these are guesses based on similar rods I own and what reels I like with them. To put things into perspective, my static balance preference is at the winding check and the weights are the stated weights of the empty reel from the manufacturer:

CFO II (Abel version) - 3.30 oz
Bougle - 2-13/16" (Baby) - 3.20 oz
St. George Jr. (Recent iterations like the HGR030L) - 3.24 oz
Hardy Featherweight - 3.37 oz

That is a wonderful rod, enjoy it and have fun choosing a reel!!

Post 11 Jul 2021, 09:38 • #5 
Sport
Thanks for the info, I have a Young Pridex, but I am thinking about upgrading buying a Hardy Lightweight that found for sale online. 250 for the reel/case and 3 spools. Do not really need the spools but they are a package deal .

Post 11 Jul 2021, 10:15 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Which Hardy Lightweight? There are four in the series. The Featherweight would be best, IMO, and would look proportional on the 7'6" rod. The Flyweight is awfully small diameter and lighter than you need. The LRH would work but bigger than you need.

Post 11 Jul 2021, 12:34 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
At one time, there was a single reel called “The Lightweight” which was similar to the later LRH Lightweight in the Lightweight Series. The Hardy Lightweight SERIES came later. The Hardy “Lightweight” series went through a few changes and at one time also included the 3-3/4” St. Aiden and did and did not include the Princess depending on the era.

Specs from the most recent Lightweight “series.”

Flyweight (2/3 wt. lines) – 2-1/2” – 2.75 oz.

Featherweight (3/4 wt. lines) – 2-7/8” – 3.37 oz.

LRH “Lightweight” (4/5 wt. lines) - 3-1/8” – 3.62 oz.

Last edited by Bamboozle on 11 Jul 2021, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Jul 2021, 12:57 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
There is also a 4th larger reel, the Princess, listed on the Hardy website. The LRH (LRH Lightweight) is listed as a 5/6 line weight reel there. They show the Featherweight as a 4/5 but I think 3/4 is more like it, as Bamboozle said. I have two LRH reels - one with a WF6 line and the other a WF5. A DT6 probably wouldn't fit or wouldn't allow backing.
http://www.hardyrodsandreels.com/EComme ... els?sId=12

Post 11 Jul 2021, 14:42 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
That is not a Hardy website, it's a Hardy dealer and I would venture to guess if you called them, none of those reels are available.

This is the Hardy website.

The Princess has been out of production for at least 15 years and so are the rest of the Lightweight series. The Lightweights were some the first reels manufactured in Korea after Hardy moved production to Asia and that was around 2007. At that time, a Korean LRH cost just a tad less than a Alnwick built version made a year earlier.

When Hardy moved "classic reel" production back to the UK, the Perfect was the first reel reintroduced. At that time the cost was exorbitant ($800 - $1000) for all of the UK built stuff. In later years as other models were reintroduced as UK built (Bougle, Cascapedia, Marquis), suspiciously those crazy prices went away.

The bottom line is the Princess was discontinued PRIOR to that so if you find one for sale it is either NOS or used. Any Lightweight out there would either be a Korean made version (that doesn't have "Made in England" on it *) or something made prior to 2007.

* I own a UK built LRH that doesn't say "Made in England" on it and I know someone who owns one that says "Made in England" on it that was made in Korea.

Post 13 Jul 2021, 16:01 • #10 
Sport
I dug out an old Martin 63 out of my stuff and it feels great on the rod. I will take it out and fish it this weekend. If not I will try a Pridex. I love this rod.

New Topic Add Reply