It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:24

New Topic Add Reply
Cortland Rimfly
Post 02 Jul 2021, 11:23 • #1 
Sport
For Fathers Day my wife surprised me with a preowned Cortland Rimfly (medium size). I set it up for LHW. It seems to be right but I would like to confirm that. Does anyone have papers they could post for this reel?

Re: Cortland Rimfly
Post 02 Jul 2021, 12:21 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It looks to me as if it might be right but Im not sure.When you reel in I think the tension should be less then when line is being pulled out.Bulldog would know for sure.

Post 02 Jul 2021, 12:32 • #3 
Piscator
I can tell you it's correct for LHW without papers.

Post 02 Jul 2021, 13:38 • #4 
Sport
Thanks fellas. It’s definitely lighter on wind than payout. I just wasn’t sure if I should be shutting down the engaged pawl and flipping the other. Anyway it works well the way I have it now so thanks for the help.
Another concern I have is lubrication. It came with light oil on the spindle but no grease anywhere. I plan to grease the spool latch but not sure about the pawl and gear contact. I believe I have read somewhere that these pawls are plastic and shouldn’t be greased for some reason. Any recommendations?

Post 02 Jul 2021, 17:19 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, set LHW as mentioned. I think of most "plastic" pawls as self-lubricating, more likely to be damaged by grease or oil become grinding compound once fouled with mineral fines from stream water and from other debris. Probably that is too generalized, though, and I doubt a smidge of either would hurt, cleanliness being more important. It would be interesting to see what the Cortland/Leeda/BFR recommendation was; I just don't remember specifically. An advantage of symmetrical check reels like that is that off side is, in effect, a set of spare parts. If ever necessary, the off-side (RHW side in this case) spring and pawl can be removed and reinstalled on the LHW side of the reel.

Post 02 Jul 2021, 21:13 • #6 
Sport
Whirlpool. Thank you for your observations and advice. Very useful. Judging by its immaculate condition I would say this reel has never been fished, suggesting that it came without grease from Cortland/BFR. That may be a hint about the manufacturer’s opinion on the matter of lubrication. Nevertheless I will take your advice and apply a smidgeon on general principles. Thanks again.

Post 03 Jul 2021, 09:20 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations. Personally, I love the rimfly reels. They are light and the drag is just enough to prevent overruns, while the rim is smooth and ready for palming/feathering with your pinky. If you're going to use a reel that needs palming, you might as well get one without an adjustable drag and just learn how to do it well. No fiddling with the drag knob when trying to play a fish.

There is something about a reel that is as simple as possible but no simpler.

Post 03 Jul 2021, 10:12 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Carlz, do you remember any particulars about lube on the pawl? I don't use mine often and didn't remember why, after cleaning it up once, I didn't lube the pawl but didn't fuss to clean off some oil from the spindle that ran down onto the gear. Now, I see I didn't remember to redo the pics here either.
( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1366&p=52766&hilit=Leeda+gearfly#p52766 ), The recommendation is "a drop of oil on the click mechanism." This for a gearfly, which has basically the same pawl and gear material for its click, so that would suit the conventional wind reel as well. I guess I figured that a few good drops on the spindle would weep down onto the gear and pawl as well, providing all the lube needed without attracting gunk.

Post 03 Jul 2021, 13:02 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I don't recall the official recommendations. I may have some papers around.

I oil the spindle, but don't worry about the pawls because they are plastic. The gearfly always seemed like a completely different beast to me. I do oil those, but my gearfly's don't get as much use as they deserve.

None of my reels get so much use that they will wear as long as I keep them clean. Some of the plastic on old Japanese Pflueger clones has broken on me, but never on the Cortland/Leeda/BFR click&pawl reels.

Post 03 Jul 2021, 13:50 • #10 
Sport
This is a very useful conversation.
Rim Fly on top
Gear Fly on bottom

Leeda/BFR probably made these 20 years apart, maybe longer, but the plastic pawls are very similar. I also left the Gear Fly pawl and gear dry. Based on what I hear here, I think I might just give the works of both reels a drop of 3 in 1 oil and Call it success. I bought the Gear Fly maybe a year or two ago but haven’t used it much, though I like it a lot. It’s a bit tricky to get the spool back onto the spindle correctly. Takes some fiddling. It was marked Gladding Gear Fly when I got it, but the script has since disappeared during the first rinse with warm water. I too like the simplicity of a reel like the Rim Fly. I even like my Martin 65 and Pflueger Progress which are even simpler. I fish for wild browns in Central Pennsylvania so a mighty drag is not often necessary.

Post 24 Aug 2021, 12:17 • #11 
Sport

I took the Rimfly on a trip to Montana where it performed very well on cuthroats and rainbows.

And back in Pennsylvania

The non-adjustable spring assisted clicker, set at the factory, worked well slowing the first run of 12 - 14 inch trout. It’s a bit stout for the trouteens. Never had to resort to the rim control. Very smooth running. Nice clicker sound. Overall an excellent reel.

Post 25 Aug 2021, 09:27 • #12 
Piscator
still a great-looking combo, and looks even better next to that cutt

Post 25 Aug 2021, 10:56 • #13 
Sport
Thank you sir. That cut throat was caught on a size 14 Partridge and primrose SH on the East Fork of the Bitterroot River at Sula, MT. Beautiful place. Wish I could live there.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 13:12 • #14 
Master Guide
Nice reel. I had that model too. In fact, my first fly reel is an older Rimfly made in England. I got it in ‘87 and still have it.

Post 26 Aug 2021, 14:39 • #15 
Guide
Yo Tups - nice pix. FWIW, since I often ffish 7X and 8X (or finer) here in SE PA, I set up the pawls 'backwards' - that is to say setting up the payout lighter than the wind-in. That reduces the startup inertia if the trouts pull out the drag. I use the palming feature to increase pressure. It may be heresy, but with some Hardy made reel pawls on brand new reels that are not broken in yet, I take a lick or two with a fine hook hone on the pawl to reduce the friction to the same end.

tl
les

New Topic Add Reply