It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:47

New Topic Add Reply
Medalist screws again
Post 26 Jun 2021, 21:52 • #1 
Master Guide
Picked up an older 1494 with the click pawl and circular line guide design that was sitting on display at a local tackle shop. Has a couple issues.
First, I need two or three of the old screws with the small head on them. Not the later screws that are so common. Will an old progress or other have screws that would be the same? Any source out there or anyone have a few they would sell?

Second, the handle is loose. Can I use a punch to tighen the shaft into the cap? If that makes sense.

Thanks,
Russell

Post 27 Jun 2021, 06:58 • #2 
Piscator
I believe the new proprietors of OnePfoot will have you covered, they're reported to be very accessible.

If all else fails, contact Dick Janak through ORCA - he bought the original Pflueger parts bins from Col Milt Lorens.

Post 27 Jun 2021, 11:29 • #3 
Master Guide
Looked at the screws that came with my one p foot reel foot and they were not the ones. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that they only had that style. Looks like they do have the small older screws I need. Still need to figure out how to tighten the handle post. Might need to send it out to Archuletta.

Thanks for the direction for the screws

Post 27 Jun 2021, 12:10 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I'd take a screw down to Ace first and see what they have. Don't know anything about those reels but the drag Medalist each use three (or maybe four) different screws, depending on location frame, ratchet, foot, latch cover; some place i have a list of them by size and pitch and best I remember they are standard sizes, maybe those are too.

Post 28 Jun 2021, 19:39 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Like Ron said, One Pfoot has you covered with the small head "old" style screws that are stainless 3-48 screws with a reduced pan head.

FWIW - As a lifelong "hardware aisle" junkie, I can tell you that the likelihood of finding ANY 3-48 screws, let alone one the correct length with the right size head in a hardware store is about nil. 4-40 is about the lowest most hardware stores offer, sometimes 2-56, never 3-48.

Good luck!

Post 29 Jun 2021, 11:28 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Always worth a check for reel parts, including Pflueger, but no luck this time: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/pflue ... 86747.html From Bamboozle's post, I was glad to find out that I remembered 3-48 as the size. I could swear I bought some recently at a hardware store, but I guess that was 30 or 40 years ago. I didn't buy them all. Sometimes if you find the longest running/oldest hardware store in your area, they have stuff that will surprise you.

Post 29 Jun 2021, 11:51 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
+2 for One Pfoot. I've had several transactions with them.

Post 29 Jun 2021, 12:10 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Most newer hardware stores are using outfits like Hillman to supply & restock loose screw inventory which means they stock what sells. One thing I discovered by accident is if you go to a recently opened Lowe's, you can find some really small stuff like stainless steel 0-80 & 2-56 machine screws in packages, but that soon disappears after a few months when it doesn't move.

The problem with hoping to find an equivalent old style Medalist screw in a hardware store besides the size of the screw is the head. The Medalist screw has an undersized head, it is not your standard pan-head.

When Bill Franke was alive and running OnePfoot, I pimped a 1950's version 1494's with parts I bought from him which included some NEW "old style" screws. They fit perfectly and are stainless versus nickel plated brass or steel which to me is an upgrade. The new OnePfoot guys are making the same screws.

Maybe some folks think $2.00 each for a OnePfoot screw is a bit much, but here in PA, regular gas is going for around $3.19 a gallon. I would probably burn more than a few gallons running around to the various hardware stores in my neck of the woods on a "screw hunting" mission...

Just sayin...

Post 29 Jun 2021, 14:51 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Oh right on. I think I had a some junker or friend's reel, couldn't match the heads, and changed all the screws, at least on one side. It is fun to see what an old store has that they don't even know they have, but rarely would it be a cost effective mission. Those prices are plenty reasonable, just if considering the carrying costs of maintaining an inventory--for a few months or 40 years. The other way to get such things is to keep an eye out for parts reels.

Post 29 Jun 2021, 16:36 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
FYI I just picked up some 3-48 screws at Ace (not for a reel) they had a tray of gun screws.

Post 29 Jun 2021, 20:51 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
10 or so years ago, there was a topic about this on the forum. Someone found black screws at a reasonable price (ebay maybe). The screws not only have to match the thread, but they need to be tapered (and if possible have the dome shaped top). I don't know what they call that style of screw.

I purchased a bag of them, I thought I had a lifetime supply. However the bag seems to have gotten lost in the "fishing stuff".

So if someone finds a good supply, let us know.

Post 30 Jun 2021, 01:03 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I wonder if Onepfoot makes those screws or buys them ready to use?
Then that makes me wonder if Enterprise made their screws, and if the screws were cut to mach the reel parts or if the reel was machined to fit the screws?

New Topic Add Reply