It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:26

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jun 2021, 13:56 • #1 
I recently acquired this little 3" perfect-style reel by Young, and I'm interested to find out more about it. It seems like it's a 10b created for J. Bernard & Son, but I've never owned any other Youngs, and other than a bit of forum research, I don't know anything about these reels. Any ideas about its age, etc. are welcomed.

Post 25 Jun 2021, 14:56 • #2 
Piscator
Exceptional find - congratulations. Definitely pattern 10b, and dates to late 20s.
That's also a low-use reel to have such good lead finish remaining, and red agate puts it over the top for demand-side.
Here are examples at each extreme:
Image Image
Image You can see this Manwaring of Paris is missing very little original lampblack.

Some of these reels came with a 2-3/8" foot, which fit anything, and improves their value in current market.
The longer 2-5/8" foot is tougher to fit, though plenty of period cane sliding bands, and pocket/screw seats on glass rods from the 50s and 60s often work.
One in particular, this pattern 16a long foot on H-I period Harnell 1652.

btw, here you can see the more domed appearance of the pattern 16a winding plate.
The later reels are mostly Japanned enamel finish.
The smallest pattern 16a was 3-1/8"

Post 25 Jun 2021, 18:24 • #3 
Thanks for the quick response and great photos! This reel has a 2 3/8" foot, and it fits my Granger reel seats perfectly. Because it weighs a bit more than Medalists, this reel seems to be better able to balance out my rods. I was intending to use it with a couple of 8040's.

Post 25 Jun 2021, 19:17 • #4 
Piscator
Those are fine rods and will make a great match.

I've always found the square-ended postwar Young foot from '47 to '57 to be a tailor-made match for Granger patent seat.

Post 26 Jun 2021, 08:05 • #5 
Guide
The simple lines and "clean" uncluttered look make that a beautiful little reel to me. Personal tastes are well, personal but to me a reel and for that matter a fly rod are pretty small canvases for an artist to work on and they can get gaudy pretty quick.

Post 26 Jun 2021, 10:13 • #6 
Piscator
The beauty of perfect-style reels is the ease of clamping drag with knuckle on spool plate, and thumb on the winding plate.
The good looks are gravy.
Surprise when swinging streamers to check on summer holdovers.

Post 26 Jun 2021, 22:29 • #7 
Hmmm. I'll have to see if I can track down one of those post-war Youngs. Thanks for the suggestion! Jeff

New Topic Add Reply