It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Jun 2021, 16:11 • #1 
Guide
I have my first Medalist purchased in the mid-60s. The other day I noticed one of the screws holding in the line guide appeared to be missing. Having never lost a screw on one before, looked closer and the screw head has broken off. Any way to remove the broken off screw to replace it? Or should I just keep fishing it "as is" as the three other screws holding the line guard are doing their job.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 16:36 • #2 
Sport
Most hardware stores carry screw extractors (you first drill a hole in the broken screw, and then use the screw extractor to remove the screw). These work best on large diameter screws, and may not be an option is the screw is small.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 16:38 • #3 
Piscator
A screw missing the head should not be under any tension, and should back out easily if you have something small enough to get friction on the broken end and turn it.
(I have extractors that would spin it right out with a drill-motor set to turn CCW)

Is it the square line guard on 1492, or does it look like this? Because these screws are part of the frame and pillars.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 20:15 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
If need be and the screw doesn't back out with an extractor or as bulldog described, just remove all the screws on one side. Once a side plate is removed, the pillar with the broken screws will have enough of the stub exposed to grasp with forceps, needle-nose pliers, or some such. I would put some penetrant on all of them before trying any turning, so you are less likely to break or gouge another screw head, or break off the stub. Worst case scenario would be having that one pillar in a vice and drilling out the screw. New ones aren't hard to come by from a junk or a hardware store, 3-48 I think, but you can measure the threads at any store that sells hardware. When reassembling use a little mild formula threadlock, or the hackers nylock, a snip of 6X of tippet material or plastic food wrap.

New Topic Add Reply