It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:30

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Jun 2021, 11:58 • #1 
Sport
I've noticed a number of posters voicing their dislike for palming rims on their reels, but have yet to see the reason why. Since one is not forced to palm a reel, how are they any problem?

Post 20 Jun 2021, 12:23 • #2 
Master Guide
Durability, esp on older reels that are made from sheet aluminum (Martin and Pflueger come to mind) drop the reel and bend the spool and you are done. I haven’t had this happen though and I fished a Martin 67ss a lot with no problems.
Full cage reels are naturally stronger and will take a little more abuse.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 14:46 • #3 
Piscator
Exactly as just described - the SS Martins seem to be almost singular about misalignment rubs.

Certainly not an axiom, and there are many number of click-pawl palming rim reels elevated to favorite from Young Pattern 2a (1925) to Marquis.

Even Martins

Post 20 Jun 2021, 20:23 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I really like some palming reels. While durability can be a concern there are ways around this issue. One of my favorite palming reels is this Bill Ballan "The Palming". Its just so smooth with a nice delicate click pawl. This is the only one I've seen and come across, I wish I could find another.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 20:28 • #5 
Sport
Sounds like durability is the only issue. As luck would have it, I just lent my Martin mg7-SS to friend who is just starting out fly fishing. I will caution him against dropping it!
Most of my palming reels are built like tanks, the new Medalist 1498RC, System 1 and 2s, Lamson LPs so I will probably escape having a bent spool. I do enjoy fighting fish by adding varying degrees of pressure throughout the fight. Glad to hear there is no huge down side to these reels.

EG, that is a beautiful reel, I’d love to find just one. The gold spool would look great on my Johnson Profile.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 21:46 • #6 
Piscator
Actually, watch the Medalist RC series - they're not made from aircraft-grade wrought sheet like the US-made Medalists over their history (or Valentine more recently).
Instead, they're made from die-castings - they won't have near the stiffness or strength of an original Medalist.
I dropped a 1492-AK, and it was never the same, even with my extra attention to make it round again.

Post 20 Jun 2021, 22:48 • #7 
Sport
Interesting, I did not know that about the 1498RC. The one I obtained was in a lot of rods and reels and after fishing with it I was impressed. It has more drag range than the older model and a counter balance, and spins on retrieve with little friction. I've only damaged two reels in my life, one I ran over in a car (don't ask!), the other dropped in my kitchen, breaking a die cast foot. I will be careful not to drop this, but if I do I see they go for around $25 on auction. Not a bad risk/reward ratio.

Post 21 Jun 2021, 08:44 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Agreed with the Medalist RCs. mine has been used and abused and still works great. The tolerances were never the best (hey, it was ~$20 reel when I bought it in the early 90s), but it's never failed me.

New Topic Add Reply