It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:27

New Topic Add Reply
Lamson LP Clutch Issue
Post 04 Jun 2021, 09:49 • #1 
Sport
I own two Lamson LPs a 4 and a 2. No problem with the 4, but the 2, recently acquired has a very loose clutch, I noticed it when i heard the reel rattle when handling it. The clutch does not fit tight to the gear, although it performs its job. Is the a sign of impending doom? What goes awry with this clutch when it does fail? Do the pins break, or the internal one way device hidden inside the clutch.

BTW, the two clutches look different. The 4 is held together with three "rivets", the 2 with three phillips screws and has an extra key hole, small, midway between the two large key holes. I imagine one is the aftermarket upgrade, perhaps the 4. Maybe the original LP clutch just fits with that much play. It is the same play whether left or right hand wind.

Post 04 Jun 2021, 11:19 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
There were different versions of the LP series. Could you post photos of the reels? Solid backs or ported? Lamson was very helpful and accommodating with me and my LPs. Did you contact them? Once they gave me a very generous credit towards a new reel due to an older LP that had significant issues.

Post 04 Jun 2021, 12:43 • #3 
Sport
The extra key hole on the LP2 I mentioned is visible at the top of the clutch.

Post 04 Jun 2021, 15:21 • #4 
Piscator
My LP 3.5 is rock solid - I have no reason to remove the clutch, but it would take some desire and leverage to get it done.
The clutch is a friction washer assembly (like Martin). When it quits, the spool essentially free-spins.
I have my spare that I snagged when Lamson was closing our their support of this reel.
I believe Bill Archuleta may have bought the balance from Lamson.

Post 04 Jun 2021, 16:44 • #5 
Sport
I was hoping you would weigh in. Your 3.5 has the same style clutch as my 4. The 2 has Phillips screws as mentioned. I take it that that is the original clutch in your 3.5.
I wonder if anyone here has an LP 2 with original clutch so I could see it. Perhaps I can find a picture with a little searching.

So when the clutch goes, even the pawl is unavailable to prevent free spooling? I was hoping that if that happened I could just use it as a click pawl reel. What exactly breaks on/in the clutch. I am thinking it is the one way mechanism inside of it, is that so?

Post 04 Jun 2021, 17:25 • #6 
Master Guide
I acquired the last two spare clutches lamson had quite a few years back now. They were no longer supporting the lp reels but would give you a credit on a new reel. I stopped by bill archulletas around that time and he had all the spare parts from lamson for the lp's and lamson was sending people his way.
I he was rebuilding the clutches at that time and probably still does.

russell

Post 04 Jun 2021, 18:00 • #7 
Administrator
bulldog1935 wrote:
I believe Bill Archuleta may have bought the balance from Lamson.

As in archuletasreelworks.com/. Unless my eyes are worse than I think, the #2 reel has three empty holes on the clutch assembly. If so, who knows what happened under the cover. I would contact Mr. Archuleta about a tune up. There isn't anything quite like the early Lamson reels on the market anymore.

Tom

Post 13 Jun 2021, 15:58 • #8 
Sport
After doing some internet searches, I found LP2s with clutches like mine, screws and the third key hole, and others with "empty holes. or rivets ( I think it is a crew that unscrews from within like with an allen wrench but see no allen wrench shape in it. I believe i have seen this before, but i am no mechanic and don't know the name of it.

I wrote Bill a couple of days ago. Either he is busy or he has gone fishing as i have not received a reply. Thus I turned to this board.

Jgestar, the holes you see in the photo are the underside of the phillips head. From the other side of the clutch the screw heads are visible.

Edit:
Exchanged emails with Bill a few days ago. He determined that the problem was probably a missing retainer spring on the spindle that the clutch snaps over. I agreed but could not confirm as I had already sent the reel back. Informed the seller of what we decided so that he could do what seemed like an easy repair if he so chose.

New Topic Add Reply