It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:07

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 May 2021, 10:24 • #1 
Guide
As a novice in fly reel collecting and tinkering I have been haphazard in my approach. I have been aware of JW Young reels and their pivotal place in fly reel development but due to circumstances and budget have not got into this as I would wish! Anyway I have some of the Shakespeare descendants- Beaulite, Condex etc and have now through an interest in Edgar Sealey tackle have acquired a Flylyte , Young’s made reel . Not in the best condition but useable. Well until I stripped the spool latch mechanism and can’t get it back together!
It had been very stiff and difficult and when I disassembled it I think the spring had been glued in place. I have cleaned it up but not entirely sure if the spring and latch pin are the shape they require to be to even give me a fighting chance f putting it back together. Any info and tips gratefully accepted!

Post 29 May 2021, 12:51 • #2 
Master Guide
It appears that the latch bar is bent, flatten it out, then read post #3 in the mechanical bits thread. Bulldog explains it far better than I could.

Post 29 May 2021, 12:59 • #3 
Guide
Many thanks, will do. I had a look earlier but wondered as the latch pin/ bar looked an odd shape, as did the spring! I’ll have another look, thanks again.

Post 29 May 2021, 13:20 • #4 
Piscator
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5550#p34983

They work just like this, except on the later reels, you assemble the latch bar and spring into the latch cover.
The older reel I linked has bosses cast into the spool, and a flat latch cover.

You should also straighten (flatten) your latch bar and spring before you assemble it.
There is also a curve in the latch bar - the concave side of that curve faces the spindle in order to clear it.

I helped a guy do this over the phone one day without any diagrams, so I know the photo should help.

Post 29 May 2021, 14:25 • #5 
Guide
Many thanks. It’s proving a tricky wee task for me but with the info and pic I hope to manage. Appreciative of your time and effort gentlemen.

Post 01 Jun 2021, 12:04 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
the spring looks unlike the Youngs I've worked on - I am guessing there is a hole in the latch cover, to receive the little tab of the spring wire that is sticking up at 90deg to the rest of the spring ?

my cheat code for these is to use more grease than I usually would, which helps hold the spring and lever in place while replacing the latch cover on the spool..

Post 01 Jun 2021, 16:09 • #7 
Guide
Hi Doug,
Have managed to get it back together. The bends in the spring and the latch bar were I think not right and after both were flattened the task began to look possible! I discovered the trick with reel grease eventually and that helped considerably I think! Here is the reel on an Edgar Sealey Glane fly rod.

Post 01 Jun 2021, 16:33 • #8 
Piscator
great result and very sharp combo - the reel exactly matches the rod hardware.

Post 03 Jun 2021, 19:44 • #9 
Guide

Used this outfit this morning . Great fun and yes the arm is a little sore tonight!

Post 03 Jun 2021, 20:06 • #10 
Master Guide
Glad you got it together. I have a couple of the Sealey reels, I like the white trim on the black reels

Post 04 Jun 2021, 05:48 • #11 
Master Guide
Reel looks great. Nice trout.

New Topic Add Reply