It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:11

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 May 2021, 21:14 • #1 
Hi all,
Newbie here. I have been spending an inordinate amount of time on this great site for the past three weeks. Lots of great information and many, many reels that i wasn't aware of. So far, I've drawn two conclusions in regards to old reels 1) right hand wind seems to have been the status quo and 2) #5 /#6 /#7 the most prevalent class. So i wanted to find something like an old Hardy Perfect in #3/#4 and LHW, it would be next to impossible or disproportionally expensive. I am wrong on this?
If that is correct, when did reel manufacturers such as Hardy start to offer LHW? How about lighter line weights?
By the way, thanks to all who unselfishly share their expertise and pics. This is an awesome resource.

Post 21 May 2021, 22:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Many of the Old Hardy's (lightweight, featherweight, princess) are reversible. The line guard can be taken off and flipped, and the pawls can be flipped.

Some other drag/check systems take more work or can't be flipped.

Post 21 May 2021, 22:44 • #3 
Piscator
1960s are when most reels became reversible.
If you go back to the '40s, Pfluegered offered 159x Medalists that were factory LHW.
1958 is when JW Young first offered reversible reels.
I would say it was into the 1980s before virtually all new reels were made reversible and they were delivered set up for LHW.

Post 21 May 2021, 23:30 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I think in the early '90s almost all the reels displayed in the local shops were still delivered RHW. I own two Medalist with 2001 date code that I think were RHW from the factory, I half remember changing them, but I'm not positive.
I think most all machines get designed for clockwise motion.

Post 22 May 2021, 01:17 • #5 
Administrator
StreamDruid wrote:
1) right hand wind seems to have been the status quo and 2) #5 /#6 /#7 the most prevalent class.

Welcome to the forum!

The change from predominantly RHW to LHW seems to correspond with fishermen changing from bait casting to spinning tackle. By the late 60s and 70s more and more fisherman expected fly reels to handle like spinning reels. Around the same time the 'standard' fly reel went from holding an HDH or HCH line with some backing to a variety of more specialized sizes suitable for lines from 3/4 weight to 10 weight (for instance the original Hardy built Scientific Anglers System reels).

StreamDruid wrote:
So i wanted to find something like an old Hardy Perfect in #3/#4 and LHW, it would be next to impossible or disproportionally expensive. I am wrong on this?

Hardy has long made a variety of reels, including small sizes, LHW, and always with fine workmanship. Unicorns like the small, vintage Hardy Perfect in LHW exist, but are very collectible. Fortunately for Hardy collectors there excellent books outlining which reels were made when. This is unfortunate for the fisherman who would prefer a fine used reel for small money. When an item is desirable for fishing, and desirable for collecting, AND only available in limited numbers, the price will be exorbitant. Swim these waters at your own risk.

On this forum you will discover a school of thought similar to baseball's moneyball. Does the market undervalue vintage tackle that still catches fish as well as the most modern gear? If so, how can we obtain really fun tackle at a nice price? An example would be those SA System reels, which can be found for less than the equivalent Hardy marked Marquis.

Tom

Post 22 May 2021, 08:21 • #6 
Piscator
as a self-styled historian of this stuff, Tom, I'm pretty sure Hardy, JW Young and even Pflueger would one-of anything you wanted for the right price.
We see rings-up fly reels that were made for people who bait fished their reels and wanted that configuration and convention - people often mistake these for LHW.
Even a Meek No. 5 one-of that was shown on ORCA, first thought to be a LHW baitcaster, was figured out to be set up for a RHW salmon under-rod multiplier.

We've seen one example of a Medalist from the '30s that was made with two line guards and symmetric click-pawl orientation.
Other than that Medalist one-of, you're not going to find intentional reversible reells built and marketed before the 1960s.
In the 1950s, you could buy an aftermarket LHW ratchet plate for your Medalist.

It's also likely very few people cared before spinning reels came out of the postwar blue collar marketing boom.
Left-brain people liked it and wanted their fly reels made that way.

Post 22 May 2021, 09:31 • #7 
Master Guide
Or as my brother would say, when right handed fly fishermen decided to stop acting silly.

No offense to anyone intended...but I always appreciated his wit.

RIP, brother!

Post 22 May 2021, 09:56 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
as a self-styled historian of this stuff, Tom, I'm pretty sure Hardy, JW Young and even Pflueger would one-of anything you wanted for the right price...

Yup!

Not the same thing, but I have a LHW Penn Jigmaster, obtained by making a phone call to Penn, sending them the reel & $13.

Post 22 May 2021, 10:33 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
If I remember correctly, as a kid, in the late 1950s, I had an old Pflueger Sal-trout that could work either way, but I determined that since you hold the rod in your right hand, LHW made a lot of sense. Then, in about 1965, or thereabouts, I was given a new, medalist reel that was RHW, and I had to switch over to my right hand, or rig the reel backwards. That I refused to do because it just looked wrong. So, I figured I had better use it right-handed like the adults do.

then, in the 2000s, I read here about the great LHW-RHW debate, and how everybody wished the reels were set from the factory for LHW. Somebody must have been reading us, because when I bought a new Orvis reel for salmon fishing in 2008 the thing came from them rigged Left-hand. Fortunately, they had explicit directions how to change it back. Now everything is rigged LHW.

I will probably change to LHW one of these days.

Post 22 May 2021, 12:27 • #10 
Piscator
caliper clickers working either way go into the previous century.
The way Meisselbach was set up, you could bias the spring for lighter wind than pay.
Though that probably wasn't the purpose of the spring-mounting screw.
Image Image

Post 23 May 2021, 15:20 • #11 
thanks for all the info. Much appreciate it!

Post 23 May 2021, 17:42 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
RHW was the default delivery mode into the 1980s. By then, more and more new anglers were reeling LHW, probably because they had started fishing with openface spinning reels, reeling with the left hand. Somewhere in the 1990s or so, LHW was the predominant market demand, and thus became the default delivery mode.

Post 09 Jul 2021, 20:06 • #13 
Sport
When I began fly fishing in the early 70s I bought a Fenwick and a Ambassador 156 reel. It is a disk drag that makes clicking noises that was a RHW and I never gave it any thought. I learned to switch the rod to my left hand to retrieve or fight the fish. A few years later I added a Pflueger Medalist 1495, same thing. When I found the SA System 6 (a Hardy Marquis) it was also set for RHW, so I continued.
To be honest I have tried to switch, but it just doesn't feel right.

New Topic Add Reply