It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:51

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 May 2021, 07:53 • #1 
Anyone found a screwdriver that fits this screw well?

Post 19 May 2021, 09:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I made one out of a thick Nylon washer from the hardware store so I wouldn't scratch anything. Sort of like a plastic nickle. It works fine.

None of the washers in the store fit so it just required a little sanding. I heard a real nickel works too.

I don't know what the slot thickness is, but there might be a hollow ground screwdriver bit out there for gunsmiths that would fit too, but the chance of it slipping discourages me from seeking one out or trying to fabricate one.

Post 19 May 2021, 10:12 • #3 
Guide
I got tire of screwdrivers slipping and scratching stuff so went out and bought a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers. Haven't had a slip since...

Tom

Post 19 May 2021, 11:55 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Tom:

I use gunsmithing screwdrivers for all of reel work however; unless I am thinking of the wrong screw, the screw in question has a slot width of approximately .077”, (more than likely 2 mm as the reels are English), and a diameter of approximately .340” or 8.5 mm.

I don’t know what Hardy uses, but the closet gunsmithing screwdriver bit I could find is a Brownells Maga-Tip bit #340-8 that has a blade thickness of .070” and a blade width of .340”.

I have that bit and while it fits, it’s a TAD looser than I would prefer and if it slips…

That’s why I made a “plastic nickel.”

Post 19 May 2021, 12:14 • #5 
Piscator
this screw?

It's slotted for a coin (probably a Brit penny), and a quarter fits - but before you twist the head off, remember it's LH thread - CW to loosen.

Post 19 May 2021, 18:15 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Ron:

I assume that is the screw in question and the one I am referring to.

Post 19 May 2021, 18:41 • #7 
Piscator
It's just a locking thumbscrew.
The winding plate screws into the spool with separate threads.
The thumbscrew keeps the main joint from backing out.

It's very likely the single part that Hardy sells the most - simply because it's LH-thread and nickel-silver.
People over-tighten them trying to loosen them.
There's no reason the nickel brass makes a hard joint - it's easy to loosen, also easy to twist off the head.
If they do twist off, any small RH drill bit on CW will spin the broken end right out.

Post 19 May 2021, 18:59 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
On at least one of my older 1980's version LHW Perfects, the direction to loosen the screw was stamped in a circle around the screw.

While I am the furthest thing from an expert, the first time I saw a Hardy with a screw was when I bought the 3-3/8" LHW Perfect I have. All of the RHW Perfects I lusted for but couldn't deal with, didn't have the screw.

Now it seems to be standard on LHW & RHW versions.

Post 20 May 2021, 05:26 • #9 
Piscator
This is a Dingley-made, c. 1925 OS Exchequer
Image Image

also had a collared thrust bearing, just like on an MG clutch, only smaller
Image Image

Post 20 May 2021, 07:27 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful ! Great detailing right to the reverse thread reminder on the screw. It is a little scary to think of anything made "just like an MG," though. I would feel better--the proof being evident in that reel--if it was said that they tried to build an MG with the quality of a decades-old fly reel. I have an acquaintance, in his mid 90s, who has owned an MG since purchasing it new. He says it starts and runs and has been stored with reasonable care. Since I met him 30 years ago, he has told me he would be driving it again soon, after he replaced the clutch. I saw his son the other day, who said his Dad hadn't gotten around to that yet. I think he gets too busy fishing using "vintage" tackle that outlasted the MG.

I am a dub with tools these days, gunsmithing screwdriver set or not. So I like Bamboozle's solution, having used a ruler in that way for my Ocean City. I fixed that one when it was handed down from my grandfather. I have a couple others similar that I might fix soon.

Post 21 May 2021, 06:58 • #11 
Piscator
the collared thrust bearing is simply better-applied in a fly reel than it was in an MG clutch.

I'm fairly certain big screwdrivers are why Hardy continues to sell this part at record rate.

Editing to add mechanical wisdom - the best way to loosen the thumbscrew is to first tighten the spool into the winding plate threads (CW).

Post 28 May 2021, 00:56 • #12 
Guide
Re: the original question.

When I owned Bougle reels & once a Perfect, I was concerned about deforming Hardy's NS set-screw slots with my standard slot drivers. I've seen a number of stressed slots on friend's Perfects & Bougles.
Why not use coins?

On my travels to Cuba & some Central European countries, I collected left over change. Many of the low value coins from these countries are made of soft aluminium.
If I remember right, I used a Cuban V (5) Cetavos or a Hungarian 50 Filler piece, that not only fit the width of the NS set-screw's slot perfectly, but also followed the curvature machined into the bottom of the slot. This allowed my coin "screwdriver" to engage deeper into the slot for a better grip. The soft aluminium coin's edge would be damaged first, before the NS screw's slot.
You do not have to torque the set-screw very hard to securely lock the spool in place.

Post 28 May 2021, 08:24 • #13 
Piscator
I'm pretty sure every reply on this thread addressed the OP question.

Post 28 May 2021, 11:27 • #14 
Guide
I had nothing significant to add, just my own experience.

Post 29 May 2021, 13:21 • #15 
Thanks to all for the advice. Ended up braving it with a nickel. I was hoping Hardy or someone else made a nice tool like this:

New Topic Add Reply