It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Apr 2021, 21:52 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
What happened to the finish on this Hardy Featherweight? It isn’t supposed to be like that right? Just old age and a lot of use? Thanks for any help!

Adding a couple more pics, Bulldog.

Last edited by Driftless on 25 Apr 2021, 19:31, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Hardy Help
Post 24 Apr 2021, 07:24 • #2 
Piscator
When did this supposed change appear?
looks like you have a very early example that was lead finished instead of enameled.
It does look kind of chalky, and what you have may not be opportune, but I would clean it, wax it, and fish it - what does the inside look like?

I think this (happens to be a 1917 St. George)

looks better than this (nicely anodized reel from Korea)

Though I would happily fish either reel.

Post 24 Apr 2021, 10:00 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Bulldog! I’m not sure the history of the reel. Insides look great (I can’t get a photo right now) and it purrs like a kitten. What wax would you recommend?

Post 24 Apr 2021, 11:35 • #4 
Piscator
I don't think you can get Butcher's any more, so I would look for Renaissance, but any good carnuba wax should work.
Make sure it's low on abrasives - e.g., probably not Meguiar's.

Post 24 Apr 2021, 15:09 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Butcher's wax is for bowling alleys, so check out Bowling Alley Wax on Amazon.

Larry

Post 24 Apr 2021, 16:55 • #6 
Administrator
Larry, I always thought that Butcher's Wax was meant for butcher's to use on their equipment and cutting boards. I didn't realize the name referred to the originator of the wax formula. When Johnson Wax discontinued Butcher's Wax they sold the formula to the "BWC Company". Apparently the brand name was not sold with the formula, so it is now only sold as Bowling Alley Wax.

Bowling Alley Wax (and Renaissance Wax) have a microcrystalline wax base, which is better for waterproofing. While I've had good luck with MinWax Paste Finishing Wax, it has a paraffin wax base. Unless you restore furniture for a living, you will probably only need to buy once. I'm half way through the can I bought two decades back.

Tom

Post 24 Apr 2021, 17:33 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys! When did Hardy start making the Featherweight?

Post 24 Apr 2021, 19:27 • #8 
Piscator
Lightweight began in 1936, but the LRH reel we're familiar with began as soon after the war as possible - it's in the 1948 export catalog, with changes beginning in 1957.
I can't tell you what year the Featherweight began - probably some here, and almost certainly, some on Clark's board could pin it down.
It would be interesting to see more views of your reel, including the line guard, number of pillars - looks like you have a smooth foot,

Post 24 Apr 2021, 20:45 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog thanks for the help. I’ll be back home late Sunday. I’ll get some photos and probably post on Monday. It has a U shaped line guard, single screw if that helps.

Post 24 Apr 2021, 22:32 • #10 
Guide
Tough to tell from the pic driftless, but FWIW the two large rivets look a little different to me. Kind of a smooth dome.

Post 25 Apr 2021, 08:36 • #11 
Guide
Is that a two screw line guard or one?

Post 25 Apr 2021, 20:02 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
It is just a single screw line guard.

Bulldog, I added some more pics to the original post.

Excuse my ignorance, but it came from the factory with this “leaded” finish? A previous owner didn’t sand off the top layer? Is it really made of lead? How can it be part of the lightweight series then - ha?!

Post 26 Apr 2021, 04:48 • #13 
Piscator
Your reel is certainly from the late 60s (about the time you could buy one from Orvis), and would have been enameled.
I'm guessing the owner got tired of looking at the rash that most of these reels endured, and did something to it.

Lead finish was sulfuric acid + arsenic salt bronzing - the final coating was lampblack, graphite slurry as in pencil lead, which very few of these reels retain.
The two examples below contain the most remaining lampblack of any of my reels.
Image Image

Without such macro detail from the copystand floodlamps, both reels are still quite stunning
Image Image

One of my favorite photos, inside shows the bronzing without the lampblack, but we'd still call this a perfect lead finish.

Post 26 Apr 2021, 06:03 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks so much for educating me Bulldog, I appreciate it!

Post 26 Apr 2021, 10:48 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog is correct, as usual.

I am pretty sure the "Featherweight" first appeared in 1958 handed and later as reversible in 1962 with the single screw lifeguard.

On the reel in question, the rivets and pawl stanchions appear to me as having been "sanded" down a bit giving them their current rounded and flattened appearance and possibly some aggressive sanding caused the "rings" around them in an attempt at removing the original enameled finish.

New Topic Add Reply