It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:27

New Topic Add Reply
Sport King 150
Post 22 Apr 2021, 12:30 • #1 
Sport
Montgomery Wards Sport King 150

Recent flea market find. I haven’t serviced it yet but looks like it will be useable.
It came with a nice old unused level fly line which looks like a clear plastic coated nylon braid in black and grey. Judging by the thin diameter of the line it appears it may be a 4 or 5 wt. old style E or F I guess. Does anyone recognize the brand of line, or when it might have been made?

Re: Sport King 150
Post 22 Apr 2021, 12:46 • #2 
Master Guide
Tups---Just this morning, I pulled this reel out of a travel fly fishing bag (it was a backup reel in case the (# 1 reel had problems)----I think it is a good blue collar reel. If you look at the reel "O" line guide, that line may have worn grooves into the line guide (the guides were made of soft material). Any way, good luck with the reel. Gary

Post 22 Apr 2021, 13:04 • #3 
Sport
Gary. Thanks for your reply. The reel has been well used and the line guide is definitely grooved but not by this particular line, which is in near mint condition. The grooves might damage any line I would use but I’m a LHWinder so will likely turn the reel around and ignore the guide anyway.

Post 22 Apr 2021, 13:22 • #4 
Piscator
That's definitely Ocean City.
Somewhere inside, you'll probably find this symbol embossed
Here's the reel in the '51 Ward's catalog

Post 22 Apr 2021, 14:30 • #5 
Sport
Bulldog. Yeah, I also have an OC no. 35. The two reels are virtually identical except the Sport King has slightly beefier pillars. Also the Sport Kings line guard, foot, and spool release screw appear to be brass, whereas the OC35 parts appear chrome plated. As you point out, you can see the OC marks on the inside of the body and underside of spool. I almost posted a copy of your 51 Wards catalog page to save you the trouble. I figured you would add it so thanks. Any ideas about that jasper fly line?

Post 22 Apr 2021, 15:06 • #6 
Piscator
some people use those coarse braided lines - I have picked up too many quality fine silk braids along the way on antique reels, just kept a few, threw all the damaged away, and sold the lion's share of undamaged ones.
I have fished them, both with silk-gut pre-tied dropper rigs (caught a double) and with dry fly spinners.

Post 22 Apr 2021, 18:43 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
My friend Charlie bought an old reel a few years ago that had that plastic coated nylon line on it. I, in my lofty wisdom, assured him the old line was no good, but he decided to see how it cast. Much to my surprise, the line cast really well. Had to revise my thinking somewhat. :o

Larry

Post 22 Apr 2021, 20:39 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve a plastic coated braided line that came off a reel I’d acquired. Probably a 6 level, I’ve only fished it once, but it laid out really well and caught more than a few until the tip began to sink a bit.

New Topic Add Reply