It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:36

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Jan 2021, 16:46 • #1 
Guide
I posted a photo of a handle rebuild on a Martin Trophy SD910 purchased online (buyer beware) but now just realize there may be some parts missing on the drag above the clutch plate or below the knob. The drag seems sick and grabs especially at tight settings. Is the 72SR drag the same as a Trophy SD910, because they look similar? Anyone have parts diagrams for any Martin Trophy series SD reels especially SD910?

[I merged posts about the SD910 from three different threads. For a very specific topic like this, it is best to keep all the posts in one thread to make it easier for others to find the information later. Tom]

Post 08 Jan 2021, 18:49 • #2 
Administrator
So the problem isn't the handle rebuild, but the original eBay seller? Perhaps you could disassemble your reel and take a photo of the parts you have in the order that they are layered in the drag? Have the drag parts been greased?

Tom

Post 08 Jan 2021, 20:35 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I think the conical drags are virtually identical on all of them. The catalog display of the "floating disc drag" at this post may at least help you spot something obvious.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1366#p12444

You could search through the thread and other discussions of the M70 and M72, as well as Orvis and LL Bean versions to see if you turn up a more detailed pic.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1366&start=75#p62345

If that's the type of drag on your reel, you could even use the US Patent office search function to turn up the Martin patent and see its technical drawings.

Post 08 Jan 2021, 22:35 • #4 
Master Guide
The drag assembly can get sticky with old, hardened grease and I flush my new acquisitions out with WD-40, dry, then a bit of light oil.

Post 09 Jan 2021, 00:11 • #5 
Guide
The handle rebuild is fine

but the drag is no good. Shrimpman, thanks but I tried that and it didn’t help so here is more information.
Whirlpool your diagram depicts the typical patented floating drag in 99% of Martin reels with this mechanism but the Trophy SD series may be slightly different. Most significant is the stout spring which with the drag knob compresses the triod washer found in most Martins with floating drags

but the 72SR diagram which is posted under reel papers shows a mechanism without the spring and looking similar to the SD 910.

However, without any owner manuals posted online for the SD series it’s difficult to assess what’s going on except if the 72SR drag is the same as an SD910 I may be missing no. 5 O-ring. Here is a photo of my SD910 drag taken apart

Post 09 Jan 2021, 02:25 • #6 
Administrator
Probably the stout spring in your reel replaces the O-ring of the 72SR.

How does the other side of the drag look? Pieces 15-20? If those are greasy or dirty the drag is not going to function smoothly.

Tom

Post 09 Jan 2021, 10:21 • #7 
Guide
Parts 15-20 are clean. The SD910 I have does not appear to have a spring in the drag since there is no pocket for it to seat in like in the drag knobs of most other floating drag Martins.

Post 09 Jan 2021, 10:51 • #8 
Piscator
not like Martin to make something different for one reel model.
Certainly, what you have is a global change for them and would be found in all contemporary models using the drag. .

Post 10 Jan 2021, 01:26 • #9 
Guide
Maybe the Trophy SD series was the beginning of the end for Martin. I remember dealing with Martin at the turnover point when they went from from an independent company to a division of Zebco and they were still manufacturing reels and supplying parts for reels with spring loaded drag knobs. The SD series came a bit later and the coil spring may have been replaced under the drag knob by a Belleville spring washer. However, to reiterate, without a schematic or reference reel with a good drag mechanism, everything I say is conjecture. So can someone with a well functioning Trophy SD series reel, take apart the drag just between the drag knob and side plate and take a photo of the parts in sequence to illustrate the mechanism and washer sequence.

Post 10 Jan 2021, 08:55 • #10 
Piscator
Sold my last drag Martin (NIB China SR) to Pete Stiles.
I sort of remember if you tighten the final screw on the wedding cake without screwing the wedding cake all the way in first, you mis-adjust the clamp force and can't get full tightness.
I hate to bring it up, but something to look into.

Post 04 Feb 2021, 14:57 • #11 
Sport
Hope this helps. Aack. I forgot how to post an image but you can click on it.

Second try without wife's help.... Are you missing spring (#2)?

Post 09 Feb 2021, 12:25 • #12 
Guide
Thanks Guitarfish and that is the schematic that comes in the Trophy SD 910 box but the drag knob is different shape and there is no cylindrical depression in it for the diagrammed spring which is relatively long and would make it impossible for the knob to screw into part just left of 4, not numbered, see post #5 above showing disassembled drag. This is a mystery and could be solved by someone with a good Trophy SD 910 disassembling their drags with photos.

Post 10 Feb 2021, 21:26 • #13 
Sport
I have three brand new, let me take one apart and post a pic if I remember tomorrow.

Post 12 Feb 2021, 00:16 • #14 
Guide
Great thanks

Post 12 Feb 2021, 16:53 • #15 
Sport
I tried to post 3 times yesterday and it never appeared.

I found mine to be exactly like the pic you posted. Maybe you have to go deeper into the assembly to find actual drag discs?

Post 13 Feb 2021, 00:53 • #16 
Guide
Guitarfish, thanks. Is your drag anything like the 72SR posted above in this thread? It’s not easy to post photos but practice helps. Do you have a smart phone? When you reply to a post look way over to left and you will find “image upload”, click that and the on next screen you can choose to take a photo from your smartphone!?

Post 16 Feb 2021, 11:08 • #17 
Sport
I posted an image above so not sure what you are telling me. Mine looked exactly like the pic and the schematic.

I am a retired contractor that got sucked into helping one more 'friend of a friend' on a project so not checking in too much.

Post 22 Feb 2021, 11:00 • #18 
Guide
I am postulating a hypothesis based upon my experience cleaning and maintaining Martin disc drag reels. The spindle cylindrical base is flattened on one side which is also the shape and size of the hole of the metal drag washers that fit on it.
In the photo the flattened spindle base is on the left hand side. The spindle should be mounted on the side plate so that this flattened surface approximately lines up with the reel feet or is 180 degrees opposite. If not aligned as described the reel is badly imbalanced and the symptoms can be mistakenly diagnosed as frame rub due to a bent frame, spool or spindle. Thus, the flattened cylindrical base of the spindle must be aligned facing the reel seat or opposite to it so the reel is balanced. Therefore, after breakdown and cleaning and reassembly make sure the flat side of spindle base is facing the feet or 180 degrees opposite. Brought a battered LL Bean Angler DS, heavily salt used 71SS and a bad Trophy SD910 purchased on eBay back to life with this hypothesis. They work like fine Swiss watches now or at least close.

Post 18 Apr 2021, 17:31 • #19 
Guide
The photo shows the drag schematic found in Martin Trophy SD series reels and below it are the actual drag knob, washers and tripod from a Trophy SD. As you can see the schematic is not accurate. The parts in question are to the right of number 4 on the schematic. In the Trophy SDs I have number 4 is missing , there are no coil springs and the shape of the drag knobs are different. I don’t understand how such a glaring mistake could have been made.

In a previous post (Martins) I proposed that the postion of the flat side of the spindle base might be crucial to balance of Martin disc drag reels. However I bought a used Trophy SD 1213 in excellent condition and the flat side of the spindle base was perpendicular to the reel feet. It worked perfectly and there was no imbalance. Therefore, although one refuting observation doesn’t necessarily disprove a hypothesis, it seems that my hypothesis is incorrect. However, I would have to examine 50 Martin disc drag, NIB reels to test this hypothesis adequately.!However, if you are having problems with frame rub or imbalance on disc drag Martins due to a traumatic event like dropping the reel on a concrete floor, change the postion of the flat side of the spindle base relative to the reel feet, it may help.

Post 19 Apr 2021, 11:04 • #20 
Guide
Anyone know how to give the click pawl mechanism on a Martin Trophy SD a tune up. I have one that works perfectly, SD 1213, and another that is a real dog, SD 910. The 910 chatters on low drag settings and when the drag knob is turned fully clockwise (zero disk drag) the drag click is barely audible. As the drag knob is tightened counter clockwise the audible click increases but there seems to be a part of the rachet gear that is not making contact with the clicker.
Perhaps the spring in the photo needs tightening? How can this be done? It does not seem to be removable Or the rachet gear is too loose on low drag settings? Maybe the c clip is shot?

Post 20 Apr 2021, 02:49 • #21 
Administrator
I merged posts about the SD910 from three different threads. For a very specific topic like this, it is best to keep all the posts in one thread to make it easier for others to find the information later.

Tom

Post 20 Apr 2021, 05:41 • #22 
Piscator
thank you Tom

Post 06 May 2021, 13:36 • #23 
Guide
Yes, good job Tom.
I did two additional things to improve the performance of a battered Trophy SD 910. Its working much better but not perfect. These procedures corrected most of the chattering of the drag pawl at low drag settings and skipping of pawl on ratchet gear teeth during part of the spool's rotation, although me breaking one of the spool seating tangs on the ratchet gear may have not helped.

First, the pawl spring in the photo above had a kink in it and it turned out to be removable so with a pair of wire bending pliers I carefully took the spring off it's stanchions and removed the kink best I could, bending the spring into a smooth symmetrical curve followed by baking at 350 F for 15 minutes to set it. These were techniques described by Bulldog1935, https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5550&start=50#p252156, https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5550&start=50#p252157. Second, a thin mylar washer was place on the spindle between the tripod and the first washer to the right of it. Sequence of tripod and first washer are shown in photo underneath the diagram.
The trade off of this second tweak was a slight tightening of the drag, drag knob torque and diminution of drag knob range. Upon comparison of Trophy SD drags and other models of Martins with disk drags, I discovered that the Trophy SDs, MG series and 72 series have only one metal drag washer underneath the ratchet gear while the Models 71 and 71SS have two, see third photo.
I have not fished a recently purchased Trophy SD 1213, which is in excellent condition, but the smoothness of its drag is impressive and stands a head above my SD 910 that came with a broken handle and rough drag. Theoretically, the SD1213 could tame a 50 lb striped bass or 100 pound bluefin or Tarpon but I'll probably never get a chance to test it. Years ago I fished a 71SS hard and its drag and clicker mechanism was also impressively smooth out of the box but deteriorated rapidly after battling some hard fighting striped bass. This deterioration was due primarily to galvanic corrosion of the rivet holding pawl arm. The Trophy SD 910's pawl mechanism is different and other issues are involved in its malfunctioning beside the kink in it's pawl spring. It probably had been maltreated by a Homo sapien rather than by exposure to saltwater or catching Morone saxatilis. In any case, these Martin drags and their clickers are subtly delicate and require extra vigilance when fished or abused hard.

New Topic Add Reply