It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 04:52

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Apr 2021, 15:55 • #1 
Master Guide
For some reason, I am unable to post a reply in my thread "Any old automatic fly reel mechanics out there?". Whenever I hit the REPLY button, it just jumps back to my last message. The EDIT button leads me to the correct editing page, but the REPLY or FULL EDITOR buttons won't work for me (and only on that particular post).

[Yes, that is to make life easier on mobile users. We can no longer reply to our own posts. Simply edit your post and add the new information. Tom]

Anyway, I just want to thank midmofly, Gary, for helping me fix my very old Utica Reel automatic. He went to the trouble of taking one of his apart so he could assist me. He let me know my suspected broken/incorrect/ill-fitted parts were correct and normal and pointed out the possibility of a tiny pin being missing that would cause the issues I was having.

He dead-on nailed it.

I made a new pin out of the shank of a size 6 streamer hook, popped it into place, and the reel now operates as intended. I only had to remove three screws and didn't even get my fingers greasy (which is usually a sure thing when working on an automatic reel!).

Thanks very much Gary! :D I hope I'll be able to return the favor in the future and help you out somehow.

Post 14 Apr 2021, 11:13 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Very Very Cool! I don't fish my autos much, but I love them. I have an old Herters rod and Auto Reel that has a sink tip line and I use it for lake fishing at the cabin...much fun!

Congrats on getting the Utica up and running!

Post 14 Apr 2021, 12:32 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks!

Post 23 May 2021, 09:18 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
desmobob wrote:
For some reason, I am unable to post a reply in my thread "Any old automatic fly reel mechanics out there?". Whenever I hit the REPLY button, it just jumps back to my last message. The EDIT button leads me to the correct editing page, but the REPLY or FULL EDITOR buttons won't work for me (and only on that particular post).

[Yes, that is to make life easier on mobile users. We can no longer reply to our own posts. Simply edit your post and add the new information. Tom]

I’ve been experiencing this as well. Seems peculiar to not to be able to post a reply in your own thread. Editing one of your posts to add a reply can sometimes work, but it’s often totally out of sequence and makes no sense.

Another possibly related issue that I observed is that when someone posted a reply in my thread, the reply did not appear. I know of the reply because I got an email notification. Sometimes replies get deleted by moderators, but there didn’t appear to be anything in his reply that would be cause for deletion.

Post 23 May 2021, 09:40 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
There was an announcement several months (maybe a year now, I don't recall exactly) back that, in future we could not reply to our own replies, if no one has posted to your thread since you did, you would be talking to/answering your self so an edit was deemed a better or less storage using solution.
It has been mentioned numerous times since implementation, in threads just like this. See Tom's edit to post #1.
I'm not positive but I think an edit brings the thread back to the top in "new posts", it seems to.

Post 23 May 2021, 10:08 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
The impression I’ve been getting is that you can’t reply to your own thread even if someone else has posted before you. I may be wrong about that.

Post 23 May 2021, 10:25 • #7 
Piscator
no, it's that you can't follow your own post unless someone else has posted behind you.

so instead, you edit your last post.

Post 23 May 2021, 20:39 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Well there is also a time limit for edits, 30 days I think and if both these rules work together then we cannot reply to nor edit a post we made say 5 weeks ago or longer until someone else adds a post. Hasn't happened to me but I can see how it could in a followup situation.

New Topic Add Reply