It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Mar 2021, 13:08 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Vintage Orvis Madison - Pflueger Medalist version
The reels are great, but the vintage paperwork is the bees knees :

Mods - please arrange photos however you need for space.

Post 28 Mar 2021, 13:11 • #2 
Master Guide
Nice!

Did any of the Pflueger Medalists incorporate the additional lever in the drag system that's on the Orvis version? Seems like a neat idea, in theory anyway...

Post 28 Mar 2021, 14:02 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I like that lever now - because it doesn't break as easy.

Note 4/5 cannot be changed over without the necessity...
Note the M on the line guard plate on the shot with the spool off.
Best to note - Serviced and returned for $4.

Post 28 Mar 2021, 17:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That reel is in excellent condition.Another nice thing about these reels is that all the One Pfoot parts will fit except for the drag adjuster.

Post 19 Apr 2021, 20:54 • #5 
I have never seen or heard about a Medalist with the same drag adjustment that was used on the Orvis Madison. I think it was an excellent design.

Post 20 Apr 2021, 08:43 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Nice. Different users might find the lever operation may be more or less convenient than the dial of the standard Pflueger. Mechanically, a levered cam adjusts the brake shoe pressure without the intermediary of a spring. In the standard Pflueger, the threaded dial adjuster is inherently smoother and fine, and the spring allowed a slight "float" of the trailing brake shoe (in RHW) to shed debris and run smoothly against the disc. Slight mechanical differences, so as a practical matter, a preference might come down to dial vs. lever. Or "gun metal finish" black vs. the handsome battleship gray.

On the 6/7 reel shown, note that it is only part-way swapped to LHW. The line guard plates have been changed for LHW position. They appear to be symmetrical, not distinct parts for the frame side and spool side, nor with a distinct "inner" and "outer" side. So that is probably all the "M" amounts to, ordinarily being assembled with the stamped "M" against the frame plate. With the exception of some drag components, the parts are the same as those on any Pflueger but I am not taking any of mine apart just to peek for an "M" on the line guard plates.

Anyhow, on the reel shown, switching the drag plate (steps 2 through 6 above) would complete the change to LHW, enabling the drag to engage on outgoing line direction, clockwise. As shown, it is in the default delivery position of the time, RHW, so the drag engages (via a plunger pin on the spool engaging stops on the drag plate) upon counterclockwise rotation of the spool.

Post 24 Apr 2021, 09:56 • #7 
Master Guide
Brian that Madison is stellar..
I’ve been thinking of getting one for an Orvis Full Flex rod I have.
I always thought the lever “quick adjustment “ was a really cool feature.
Time to start hunting for a minty one like you have.
Thanks for posting up on the Madison reels

Post 28 Apr 2021, 14:56 • #8 
Sport
I have the 6/7 and the 8, but always looking for a 4/5, which seem rarer than the 6/7. I think they are actually nice reels, and, surprisingly, really like the drag lever. I don't think the 4/5 is equipped with one though. Its also a bit strange that some of the auction sites generally list spare spools. The problem is that I am not sure they are marked and a lot of times the auction(s) don't specify the model. If you ask them for the diameter though, you can figure that out - I bought a spare 6/7 spool for virtually nothing that way.

Post 30 Apr 2021, 21:51 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
It’s a nice reel. I’ve had one for quite a few years, but did not use it much, as I’ve got plenty of Medalists. I started using it again early this year when I decided to try a DT7 on my 4-3/8 oz Battenkill, and that’s what I happened to have on the Madison 6/7. It was a good match all around. The lever type drag adjustment is nice, but it’s no biggie. I usually don’t mess with the drag much once I initially set it. I think towards the end of its production, the Madison went back to the standard Medalist type drag adjuster.

Post 13 May 2023, 15:19 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
The center cap looks like Medalist silver to me - or white plastic.

# 11 Spool release cover - part 5611

Post 13 May 2023, 16:09 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Nice looking reel and if I had owned it it would be mint, too, because I'm one of those users that whrlpool mentioned that dislike the lever cam/eccentric setting of the brake, the Pflueger system of 'infinite' adjustment is far better, I think. The cam has too much potential to be full on or full off and the lever sticking out from the side is placed perfectly for inadvertent adjustment.

Post 13 May 2023, 16:19 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Good enough if someone prefers the lever--easier to adjust but operating a less-adjustable mechanism. Orvis probably had to do something a little different to distinguish the product from a workaday Pflueger, and/or Pflueger requested variations before manufacturing the faux Pflueger for Orvis marketing. I believe they charged more, but don't remember. I prefer the Pflueger as well, but Orvis did have a handsome and durable product in that form. The 1494 and 1494 1/2 were my favorites, and eventually I sold my 1495s, a 1495 1/2, and a 1498. I think if I ever want a larger capacity "Plueger" again, I owe it to myself to try the Orvis version. A great display with the reel and paperwork in this thread.

Post 13 May 2023, 18:39 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Brian I believe you are right about the white plastic latch cover in the image of the reels on rods, and when I expand the image it appears that the 6-7 and 8-9 also have the brake adjust knob on the rim. Don't suppose Shakespeare just used 'stock' photos to make up those papers?

Post 13 May 2023, 19:06 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Back in those slow motion days, who knows...

Post 19 May 2023, 18:17 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
beautiful..

Love the lever drags, have similar drags on a big Farlows reel and an Abu Delta. Sporadically looking for a Madison but haven't committed to one yet..

Post 04 Jun 2023, 08:46 • #16 
Sport
This Orvis Madison Model 6-7 was my very first fly reel back in 1970 or so
Still have it
Still use it

New Topic Add Reply