It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:19

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Mar 2021, 08:05 • #1 
Sport
I recently acquired an Airex Ablette 373. It came set up for RHW and I want to convert to LHW. I flipped the pawls as shown in the reel paper but it still seems to be RHW, except now it doesn't operate as smoothly. Is the reel indicated in your photo from 29 January 2020 shown set for RHW or LHW? Also, the springs are curved away from the spindle on my reel while the ones in the photo are straight. Is it necessary to straighten the springs to operate as LHW?

Thanks in advance for your replay.

Post 17 Mar 2021, 09:19 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
First, let's be sure we are talking about the same reel. Here are the papers viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1366&start=25#p13699 . One of the models shown here, right ? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68107&hilit=convert+Airex#p366245

A little roughness, assuming you did clean and lubricate the parts, might still be normal for a while until the bearing surfaces wear in to the new contact positions and pressure pattern.

The V-springs, as shown--typical of reels of the time, which were default designed and delivered RHW--slightly favor that even when the pawl is flipped. Its more abrupt edge does now meet the gear on outgoing rotation (pay), clockwise, increasing resistance in that direction. But now it is rocked upward to bear on a more outboard position on the spring, so (think of the long, vs. the short leaf springs in an auto suspension), the spring acts slightly more gently, being, in effect, longer, than it does in RHW where the edge, rocks up to bear on, in effect, a shorter spring. Hard to describe, but if you follow the gear and lever pattern in each direction, you will see it.

Well, anyhow, tuning the spring or modifying/substituting with different pawl contour is an option. I wonder if it is also easy to remove the leaf spring(s) and reinstall them facing the opposite way. On the dual pawl model, it would be easy to fabricate a shim corresponding to the bolster one of the springs meets at the frame. Doing this along with flipping the pawl would result in mirror image mechanism as to how resistance is applied.

Might be fun to mess with. Possibly the position of the spring stanchions doesn't enable the springs to be fit in the opposite direction. I don't know but someone will.

Post 17 Mar 2021, 09:40 • #3 
Sport
Mine is like the one on the right (two pawls) except I believe the one in the photo is a 377 with the adjustable drag. The one in the photo appears to be set for RHW according to the papers, yes? Or is it set up for LHR because when the papers say "right hand use", they mean handling the rod with the right hand and and using a left-hand retrieve?

Post 17 Mar 2021, 09:55 • #4 
Piscator
you might want to read through this post about tuning springs
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5550&start=25#p247945

and don't over-think the RHW v LHW issue. You either wind with your right hand or left

Post 18 Mar 2021, 10:30 • #5 
Sport
I'm pretty sure that I have the pawls set correctly for LHW and it's well-lubed but it still wants to operate as RHW. I noticed that in the photos from you two that the springs were typically straight where they contact the pawls, whereas mine have a pronounced bend at that point. The bend is more pronounced on the auxiliary spring than it is on the other one. This leads me to believe that the "stock" springs are the issue here.

After reading the post about tuning springs, I'm leery about trying to do anything with them as I don't have the proper tools and don't want to break a spring. I will probably just re-set the pawls as they were from the factory and fish RHW. The only times I plan on using this reel is for chasing brookies in the WV backcountry with my Ben's 6'-6" 2-wt which is one of my very favorite things to do. Don't really need to get a fish on the reel for that.

Thank you for all of your help.

Post 18 Mar 2021, 11:20 • #6 
Master Guide
The pawls don't look like they are installed correctly on the posts. Try flipping the pawls over on the posts and then trying both left and right hand bias.

Post 18 Mar 2021, 14:52 • #7 
Guide

Here's a picture of my 373 set-up for left hand wind. Mine has a smooth retrieve and a noticeable increase in resistance when taking line. I've also included a picture of the single pawl 370 set up for LHW. Mike

Post 19 Mar 2021, 08:49 • #8 
Sport
Mike (et al. who've responded)-

I set the pawls as you've shown in the photo and that seems to be the best positioning so far but there is still more resistance winding in vs. taking line out. Once again YOUR springs (along with those in Ron and Tom's photos) are straight where they contact the pawls whereas mine are bent. Do I NEED to straighten them to get the best performance?

Thanks for posting the photos of your 373 LHW set-up. Like I said, it's the best that I've come up with so far.

Rick

Post 19 Mar 2021, 11:06 • #9 
Piscator
yes, because that's the only way to get spring contact on the pay side of the pawl head.

I use the flat portion of my spring-bending pliers to do this.

Post 19 Mar 2021, 17:21 • #10 
Sport
Got it. I believe that I know someone who has the right tool and can do this for me (or show me HOW to do it).

Thanks again.

Post 20 Mar 2021, 10:14 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Good. I see now that the springs couldn't be repositioned in the opposite direction without new spring stanchions installed. Doubt that's worthwhile as opposed to bending the spring.

Post 24 Mar 2021, 23:19 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Do these reels growl ? in sound... ?

Post 25 Mar 2021, 06:57 • #13 
Sport
Nope...they purrrr. At least mine does.

Post 25 Mar 2021, 07:18 • #14 
Piscator
I have this one from Kevin - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11838

Post 31 Mar 2021, 19:15 • #15 
Guide
Maybe I'm missing something but all of the photo's of reels with 2 pawls seem to show the pawls in right hand wind set up. I believe the wrong pawl may be engaged. On winding line in shouldn't the pawl's contact point with the spring rotate toward the end of the spring thus giving a longer lever arm which requires less force? And shouldn't playing out line rotate the contact point toward the spring's mounting post shortening the lever arm?

Post 31 Mar 2021, 21:24 • #16 
Piscator
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5550&start=25#p247945

all the pawls in photos above are correct orientation for LHW.

Round-headed pawls have a more narrow contact patch on the spring than flat-headed pawls - this reel is RHW only because of strong spring leverage and a pawl asymmetry that can't be flipped.

The reduced contact patch on round headed pawls makes pawl asymmetry and pawl timing (lead/lag angle of pawl relative to spindle center) more important than spring leverage.

but even the flat-headed pawl of a Martin helical spring check reverses perfectly on pawl asymmetry alone

Post 01 Apr 2021, 12:45 • #17 
Guide
Thanks Bulldog. It hadn't occurred to me that the designers would have used offset and orientation of the pawls to control spring displacement and lever arm on the springs or adjusted the force required by modifying the pawl's engagement and contact angles. It's obvious in the photos once you point that out. Shame on me - I'm a mechanical design engineer. Now I'm looking forward to going home this evening and playing with the 2 dozen or so click and pawl reels. The offset and orientation must be subtle or nonexistent in many reels because it's never stood out to me before.

Post 01 Apr 2021, 14:04 • #18 
Piscator
Just be careful, shaping pawl springs is an art before you get to science.
You really need the correct wire-bending pliers to avoid breaking them.
When you have a spring shape you like, you set-temper, a simple soak - 15 minutes at 350oF is what I always use.

New Topic Add Reply