It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Mar 2021, 16:27 • #1 
Guide
Just got a Scientific Anglers System Two 10/11. When I took it apart for a clean and lube I found the back side pad for the brake disc had come unglued from its bracket. Does anyone know what kind of adhesive would be best to glue the pad back on? Are new pads available?

Also are the SA System Two reels with the solid side plates (like this one) older than the ones with the ported holes? What years were solid and the ported ones made?

Post 14 Mar 2021, 16:36 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I would try crazy glue gel by Gorilla Glue.Its rubberized and might hold.If there is a lot of grease or oil in the pad it might not work.Another thing to try would be to get some cork sheet from a craft store and cut your own pads. The factory might also have some in stock.Good luck.

Post 14 Mar 2021, 16:53 • #3 
Administrator
The search function is our friend! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66384 tldr; send the reel to Bill Archuleta

That brake pad is made from a proprietary plastic only successfully bonded by the minions at BFR, using specialty glues, after specialty surface prep. Or similar. The System 2 reels came out in the late 80s, so I don't expect the brake pad material was any more advanced than teflon or delrin. Of course, teflon and delrin are notoriously difficult to glue. A repair with typical epoxy or cyanoacrylate glue might not be a good long term fix.

If you want to try a repair here's my SWAG. YMMV and all that. Don't remove the old glue from the pad - it appears the glue bond to the metal let go. You need to stick the old glue back onto the metal. I would use a long setting, two part epoxy. A fresh bottle of medium thickness Zap-A-Gap glue is an another choice. Have your glue ready and clamps on hand. Seriously scuff up the metal and gently scuff the old glue on the pad. Cleanup with acetone or methyl ethyl ketone.

Tom

Post 14 Mar 2021, 17:51 • #4 
Guide
Thank you Stonefly and Jgestar for the information and great ideas on the possible fix. The original adhesive is on the entire backside of the pad with a smooth surface were it detached from the metal bracket. Roughing up both the metal and adhesive surface and then applying some fresh adhesive as mentioned should do the trick. Even though this pad is old I think I will try to put it back on so I can use the reel. Then I can check further about what might be able to be used to replace the original drag material as I also have a SA System Two 8/9 & 12/13 that might need new drags at some point.

Post 16 Mar 2021, 12:01 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
confirm, the older System2 have the solid backplate.. mine is from early 90s and has that solid backplate.

one drag shoe came loose a decade or so back, used a slow two-part epoxy, roughed up and cleaned with alcohol both surfaces, it has held up so far..

New Topic Add Reply