It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:15

New Topic Add Reply
STH Junin 6, redux
Post 03 Mar 2021, 17:28 • #1 
Master Guide
There was a post a while back about these reels but no pics. I just acquired one. Does anyone know anything about them? Date of manufacture? I have the Orvis EXR family by STH and think they're great reels.

Re: STH Junin 6, redux
Post 03 Mar 2021, 19:11 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Neat looking reel. The innards look vaguely familiar, but I don't think I've seen that drag adjustment mechanism before. It is intriguing.

I love the solid spool.

My STH disk drag reels that I own are sturdy reels, but a bit heavier than their contemporary competitors (Ross gunnison or lamson lp). But I think their original price point was lower too. However the EXR/Presentation click and pawl reels are wonderfully light.

Post 04 Mar 2021, 08:53 • #3 
Piscator
I can't quite figure out their caliper-disc drag, because it's covered by the clamp.
The clutch is the same as all their later drags, ratchet borrowed from Medalist, with a roller-bearing in the flip-to-reverse ratchet plate.
I like the looks of the smooth anodizing over their heavy-anodized later reels.

Post 04 Mar 2021, 10:12 • #4 
Master Guide
i had one beautiful reel but the only thing that worked with the drag was the setting knob. basically the same drag however you turned the knob. i traded it away for something. don't remember what.

Post 04 Mar 2021, 20:38 • #5 
Master Guide
The drag is variable, but it's in a tight range. I can't figure out how the drag knob works -- must be hidden underneath.

Post 13 Mar 2021, 12:52 • #6 
There is a round spring wire hidden inside that round rubber "gasket" that surrounds the clutch (clutch is reversible by the way). That spring forces that rubber gasket towards the clutch to create a drag, and turning the drag knob to min or max actually moves the rubber gasket slightly away or towards the clutch. Pretty cool setup. I had mine apart when the drag knob itself broke..... (was replaced by STH back in the day...)

New Topic Add Reply