The Edwards 30 is a nice little reel. Light and with a light click. However it is not a robust reel. This example had the pawl post loosen in the reel back which led it to etch the back of the spool. I tightened it back up with an application of jb weld. I’d have preferred to braze with solder, but read it didn’t work well with aluminum.
As long as I was doctoring the reel I opted to make another change. I drilled out the rivets holding the spring so that I could flip it and make it left hand retrieve.
The changes to the reel aren’t all that pretty, but as a proof of concept at least it works. It has a sweet click that favors left hand wind. I attached the spring with a spacer rather than bend it backwards or make a new one. I pinned it with brass nails and glue.
I intend to use the reel with a light line that I had on a medalist 1492. I felt that the 1492 had too course a click for a light rod. The 1/2” arbor of the Edwards is too small for the amount of backing I prefer with a 1 weight line, so I added a cork arbor, but may still fashion something larger to get closer to the capacity of the 1492.
I sanded around the pawl post to allow the glue to adhere.
Here you can see the etchings of the pawl on the back of the spring.
Spring drilled out and flipped
Pinning the spring
And done. Pinned and glued and I put some silver paint over the glue to lessen its appearance. I'll also admit to taking this picture at a bit of an angle to lessen the asymmetry of the brass pins. I drilled the second one from the inside with tension on the spring and if I were to do it over I'd have installed it symmetrically from the outside and then bent the spring to the right tension.
Inside the reel. There is an 1/8" thick piece of an aluminum bar glued and pinned in behind the spring as a spacer. The alternative would have been to have bent the spring anchor, but I didn't want to risk breaking it off.
Making a cork arbor
Arbor installed and pictured with a 1492 spool.
I don't know how these changes will hold up to use, but I figured I didn't have much to lose with this project and it seemed like a fun thing to try.