It is currently 20 Apr 2021, 20:07

New Topic Add Reply
Martin 63 Use
Post 24 Feb 2021, 19:16 • #1 
Sport
So I was just gifted a Martin 63 Reel (Thanks Rudy), and it is very cool! Love the looks and the mechanism, it just seems like a good simple reel. I read several threads about it on this site that piqued my interest though and figured I would ask my questions here.

What kind of rods would these have normally been used on when they came out, specifically fiberglass rods?

It seems that it may be a bit to heavy to balance on say a FF60, yet may be too light for an FF805. It seems as if it would be right at home on like a 7' to 7'5" 3-4-5 wt especially one designed for smaller water.

Anyway, just curious with whomever has used it what they used it for and on. Super cool little reel.

Thanks,

John

Re: Martin 63 Use
Post 24 Feb 2021, 19:48 • #2 
Master Guide
The Martins have enormous line capacity, it would be best for 5-7 lines. Lighter lines would take a lot of backing, adding weight.

Tim

Re: Martin 63 Use
Post 24 Feb 2021, 20:58 • #3 
Sport
I was looking through older threads and one referenced 50yards of backing with a WF6 wt line on the 63 (If I remember right), the Reel Papers thread had a catalog that listed capacity as 35 Yards WF8F on the reel, I am assuming that it was only talking the length of the line.

Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of room for backing, this coupled with the overall weight made me think this would have been for a lighter/shorter rod. But not sure.

Really neat reel! Very cool simple mechanism.

New Topic Add Reply