It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:08

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Feb 2021, 18:08 • #1 
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has come across a Grice and Young Jecta Fly Mk 3 reel. There isn't really much at all on the Internet about them, except for the 'White Adder Virtual Fly Fishing museum' webpage stating the following:

"This is the Grice & Young Jecta Fly Mk III. At 3 3/4", with a wide spool, this is a serious fly reel. Compared to the previous models, there is a very real sense of "up-scaling". Among the notable features is the use of an extended brass bush in the spool. This protrudes from the back of the spool, beyond the check sprocket and sits on a bearing ring around the bottom of the spindle. The check pawl is held above the backplate of the reel on a small platform or rostrum, raising it sufficiently to engage the sprocket. This arrangement makes for a very smooth rotation of the spool. The reel is also fitted with a chrome line guard, for which there are fixing holes on both sides of the reel, implying that the reel might be used as both RHW or LHW, though the check itself is biased for RHW only"[/i]
"You can see from the legend on the box that this reel was intended for salmon fishing. The next reel is the De Luxe version of the Jecta Fly Mk III, and you could possibly use it to fish for hippos.........."

I purchased this one second hand for the princely sum of NZD$25.00, however I have never used it and would like to match it up with my Kilwell 52-90 glass rod for an upcoming tour of the South Island of New Zealand (its summer down here) It works well and I've given it a thorough clean and slight grease.

Have included an advertisement that features mainly Centrepins, but there is a Mk 2 Fly reel at the bottom of the page.

Has anyone out there ever used this beast of a reel? I'm sure it could also be used as a weapon, or to place under your car wheel to stop your car from rolling down the hill..

Post 15 Feb 2021, 22:26 • #2 
Guide
I have the same model Jecta MkIII fly reel, although mine has a lot more wear to the finish. Other differences are that mine has a brown winding handle and the Jecta Fly MkIII MADE IN ENGLAND stamping is immediately above the centre of the frame below the reel seat. I can't remember how much I paid for mine, probably around NZ$25.00. It is certainly a solid fly reel. I haven't spooled up mine yet but will do so then I reckon that Kiwiscanfly and I should have a Grice & Young weekend on the Tongariro River, eh Paul. Cheers

Post 16 Feb 2021, 17:27 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
that's a powerful looking reel.. l like the marbled handle.

didn't know that Grice & Young made fly reels. The Orlando model centrepin was the favored reel of competitive carp anglers in S. Africa when I were a lad..
second row on the ad picture, it had a second spindle mounted on the backplate so the spool could be switched over to cast like a spinning reel.
Never did afford one..

New Topic Add Reply