It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Feb 2021, 16:43 • #1 
The wife picked up a new reel for me on line from an antique dealer. She said fly reels must like shoes for men, since I am the king of setting in the truck at garage sales till she text's "fly reel" or "fly stuff" to add to the kitty. None the less, a new reel for the next season. Never owned a Scientific Angler system 2 67L. Growing in Texas I always thought of English fly fishing made items as the king's loot. But things change, So I pose the question, What would be a good affordable glass rod?

Post 15 Feb 2021, 16:55 • #2 
Piscator
Fairly big reel, would go well with just about any 7-1/2' 6-weight

Post 16 Feb 2022, 00:59 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Perhaps any Fenwick of your choosing, and my suggestion is to make a couple rod mistakes on purpose.

Post 21 Feb 2022, 18:14 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
nice reel, looks to be in great shape..
can't go wrong with a Fenwick, for not much more money Phillipsons are fine.. the matching SA System glass rods are wonderful, but rare and pricey..

Post 22 Feb 2022, 10:50 • #5 
Sport
I bought a System Two 7/8L brand new when they were current and all I knew about them was they had a good reputation as a value reel. At the time I thought it was nice, and I still do....I would grab the smaller sizes in a heartbeat and yours is really nice!

Any of the brands mentioned would be great, but don't discount a nice Shakespeare Wonderod/Wondorod in the same 7'6" or 7' 9" 6-weight range. The reel is probably heavy enough to balance an 8' rod as well. The Shakespeare rods probably aren't as refined as the Fenwick/Phillipson/SA rods, but they do cast nicely and tend to be inexpensive. I have a couple and have paid between $20 and $75 for them...so pretty cheap.

Post 22 Feb 2022, 12:01 • #6 
Guide
I have fished the System 2-L 5/6 reel for the last twenty years at least..has never failed me.

It looks like the bottom reel, but much more beat up..worn shiny smooth around edges of rim.

Great find

New Topic Add Reply