It is currently 20 Apr 2021, 20:36

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Feb 2021, 15:59 • #1 
Sport
I am eyeing an Abel Big Game 2 reel to pair with a recently acquired second-hand Orvis Superfine Glass 8'6" 6wt. Initially, I thought my trusty Ross CLA 3 would be up to the task, but it seems the Ross is a touch light. The SFG 6wt swings heavy, hence my interest in the Abel. Specs for both reels below:

Ross CLA 3 - 3.5", 5.5 oz.

Abel BG 2 - 3.3", 7.0 oz.

There is a thread on this forum recommending a 6.6 oz. reel for the Orvis SFG 6wt, so the Abel would be slightly beyond that. I do not doubt the Abel's quality or performance. I'm sure it is very solid.

Does anyone have experience with the Abel BG 2? Any reason to think it would not be a good fit for the Orvis SFG 6wt?

The Abel I'm eyeing comes with both the standard arbor spool, which holds an unspeakable amount of backing, and the Super 5 spool, which is a mid/large arbor that holds a more standard 5/6 amount of backing.

Thanks.

Post 01 Feb 2021, 16:45 • #2 
Master Guide
Honestly, I think a BG 2 is way too big for a 6 weight. A BG 1 would be much better.

I have a BG 1 and a BG 3N. The BG 2 is a little lighter but has more capacity than the 3N.

Post 01 Feb 2021, 16:59 • #3 
Sport
Thanks Novisor.

Post 01 Feb 2021, 17:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I fished an Abel Big Game #2 for bonefish. It was loaded with 175 yards of 30# dacron backing and a WF8F bonefish taper. Fished it on a 9'6" unsanded Orvis Graphite 8 wt. - still have the rod but not the reel. It is a really nice well built reel, but I was not crazy about it being as quiet as it was.

Post 01 Feb 2021, 22:13 • #5 
Piscator
Harder to find, but my Fin-Nor-made Cabela's CR 67 (also sold as Fin-Nor CR) would be a perfect match for that rod.
If you're not going after salt, though, there are many great click pawl reels that would probably be a better match.

Post 02 Feb 2021, 15:33 • #6 
Sport
Jhuskey and bulldog, thanks for your perspectives. I do plan to use the rod in some light salt situations, where a click pawl would still be fine, but the extra drag of the Abel is a good insurance policy.

I have a new lead on an Abel Super 6, lighter and narrower spool than the Big Game 2. I think the 6 may be the ticket.

Post 02 Feb 2021, 15:53 • #7 
Guide
I have a BG 2 loaded with a WF7 and a WF8. The Super 5 Spool (Mid Arbor) fits the BG 2 and I have a TT5 and a WF6 on two Super 5 Spools. An 8 1/2' Claudio uses the TT5 and a Larry Kenney 8 1/2' Fisher Blank build gets the WF6...sometimes.

I've used the BG 2 with the WF7 with my Winston Glass 9' 7 wt for streamer fishing.

Post 02 Feb 2021, 15:57 • #8 
Piscator
Choptanked wrote:
Jhuskey and bulldog, thanks for your perspectives. I do plan to use the rod in some light salt situations, where a click pawl would still be fine, but the extra drag of the Abel is a good insurance policy.

I have a new lead on an Abel Super 6, lighter and narrower spool than the Big Game 2. I think the 6 may be the ticket.

I have an Abel, and I have a Fin-Nor, and the latter has the better drag.

Post 09 Feb 2021, 15:51 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Bauer M2 on my 6wt Superfine. With line, Rio Grande 6WF, it weighs 6.2oz.
Balances between hook keeper and end of grip. Works great for me.

Post 10 Feb 2021, 17:51 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I wouldn't worry too much. If the CLA3 is ready and not in used with some other line, I would use that.
for a 6wt, a BG pt5 would be ok. Plenty of drag, quite a bit lighter. You might have to move to spectra if you want a large capacity of backing. The BG-1 is right on the mark, but they are a bit pricey compared to the BG2 or BG.5.

I have a FinNor1 and they really are tanks. I don't know the age of it, but its probably 10 years older than my Big Game reels and capable of anything. I use it to balance out a light two-handed rod.

Are you fishing the Choptank? Trout, drum, flounder?

Post 20 Feb 2021, 18:08 • #11 
Sport
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up getting an Abel Super 6 from a forum member. So far I think it's a great fit for my taste. The floating line will go on the Abel for now.
I'll use the CLA for a sinking line and the spare CLA spool for an OPST line I originally got for a 5wt, but would like to try on the 6. Should be fun.

The Choptank reference is aspirational. I love the Eastern Shore, but spend most of my fishing time on the Gunpowder and some Western Shore tidal tributaries. The Orvis SFG 866 is planned for streamers on the GP.

New Topic Add Reply