It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:47

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Jan 2021, 19:48 • #1 
Guide
I setup a recent buy from eBay - it’s an orvis battenkill mark 4. It’s the hardy made, magnesium reel they made for orvis. I cleaned it thoroughly following bulldogs guide. Let it dry, then lubed with hot sauce as the final step. Today I went to use it and it was all but unturnable. Had to really work it, carefully, with a lot of pressure to get the spool to pop back off. When it did I saw that where the hot sauce contacted the reel body it was gritty - I wonder if the hot sauce reacted with the magnesium?

I cleaned it thoroughly again and this time lubed it with boeshield only. Time will tell on how it stays.

As you may know if you have these reels, the magnesium is BRITTLE. I dropped a mark 3 in a parking lot, in its case, from waist height and the reel foot snapped! Can’t find anyone who can fix it so if anyone wants a mark 3 with broken reel foot let me know!

Post 23 Jan 2021, 23:11 • #2 
Master Guide
I have a Mark IV and two Mark IIIs, all lubed with Hot sauce, nothing like this has happened to any of them. I don’t think it reacted to the lube, nor do I have any other ideas.

Post 24 Jan 2021, 06:41 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Bad luck with magnesium reels, that's for sure, but I guess you experienced a couple reasons magnesium is kind of a limited use, specialty material for a fly reel.

If you used a vinegar wash, well, acidic vinegar is not friendly to magnesium.

Sounds like you might have caught it in time. Flush thoroughly with warm water. Boeshield or similar as a protectant, but use a lubricant on moving parts.

Post 24 Jan 2021, 10:07 • #4 
Guide
Any suggestions on lubricants to use instead of hot sauce on magnesium?

Post 26 Jan 2021, 12:16 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
that's weird.. I have three of these, Mark III, IV and V, have not yet tried hot sauce on them.
I have noticed with these reels, and my old Hardy Viscount, any lithium grease will harden up very quickly when exposed to water, turns milky and stiff. There's definitely something unusual about their metals. Finish Line Teflon bike grease has worked well for me.

There's no good repair for the broken reel foot unfortunately.. I've used a section of copper pipe cut and filed and bent to the shape of a reel foot, then glued and screwed to the old reel foot. This is functional but not very pretty.. Also thought about getting a One Pfoot, and doing something similar with that.

Post 26 Jan 2021, 21:48 • #6 
Sport
shimano has made it known they will disallow warrantied repairs if hot sauce is used on their reels. something along the lines of polishing compound that messes with tolerances, as well as a negative reaction with the coating on the stock bearings.

Post 26 Jan 2021, 22:45 • #7 
Sport
Huh...

I just bought and cleaned (without vinegar) a Mark III reel that is well used but in good condition.

I used hot sauce grease on the gear attached to the spool, and hot sauce oil on the spindle and pawl posts. Grease and oil were applied sparingly.

I did not run into any problems yet. And hope it stays that way!

Sorry to hear about your reel. I hope it turns out OK.

Post 27 Jan 2021, 08:25 • #8 
Piscator
There's really no rhyme or reason to the internet.
Threads with beautiful photos and tales of sports cars as fast river conveyance get locked, and trainwreck threads proliferate with wildass speculation and extrapolation.
There is no way to know what happened to the OP's reel without detailed history of his procedure and photos of its current condition, sans lube.

I once mentioned on Clark's board you could spot-apply a jeweler's aluminum blackener (JAX) to darken scratches on lead-finished reels. Someone extrapolated that into turning a vintage Hardy Perfect blue using B-R Aluminum Black intended to blue aluminum parts on firearms. See the list of caveats on the reel cleaning post.

Shimano voided warranties on spinning and bait reels lubed with Hot Sauce at least partly because they could see the Hot Sauce and had a product of their own to sell, but more importantly, because the grease viscosity is too low for heavily loaded aluminum drive gears, and the oil viscosity is too low for heavily loaded spinning reel drive bearings - both are precisely what makes them desirable in a fly reel (or a baitcaster spool bearing).
There is also an internet rumor of Hot Sauce and the older CI resin being chemically incompatible.
https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... ano-reels/
My 5-salt-years Tica is in the queue for a rebuild, I have new IAR assembly and bearing set, which will retain their factory lube.
The stainless and phosphor-bronze drive gears will get Hot Sauce. Shaft seals get McLube One Drop.

Post 27 Jan 2021, 08:27 • #9 
Guide
Bulldog - I don't mean to bad mouth hot sauce, or your cleaning routine. I have followed both religiously for about 10 total reels and everytime I get incredible results. you have warnings in there about what type of cleaners to use on what materials too so I was very careful on the battenkill when I cleaned it. To start and learn, there is no better resource on the internet. Thank you again for putting the effort into it and sharing your vast accumulated knowledge.

Just wondering what others experience with hot sauce + magnesium was. The boeshield cleaned the reel very well, and it helped to lube it up too. I will stick with this unless someone can suggest a better grease type product for the inner gear. Again, not trying to start an issue just a conversation!

I wish I had taken pics of the grit before cleaning it off!

Post 27 Jan 2021, 09:59 • #10 
Piscator
did you remove and clean the spool latch cap?
I hate this guessing game, but not doing so could be a reservoir for grit.
Doing it is a can of worms, because there's a bar and spring to get reassembled correctly.

Post 27 Jan 2021, 21:04 • #11 
Guide
No I did not. Didn’t even know that was doable. I’m worried about my skill level to not damage that stuff though.

Post 27 Jan 2021, 23:23 • #12 
Piscator
taking it off is easy - the tough part is putting it back on.
One of the screws is the axle for the latch bar, and the spring sits between the bar and the cap rim.
I put the screw through the cap, assemble the latch "upside down", and put a piece of scotch tape holding the bar and spring in place.
Assemble to the spool face with just that one screw, but don't tighten, slide out the tape, and add the second screw.

New Topic Add Reply