It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:38

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 11:16 • #26 
Administrator
Damn ... all this barbecue talk is making me hungry for dinner.

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 11:20 • #27 
Guide

Corlay, I'll look for Marie's Hot Sauce. I love it on eggs too.

Middlemac, Dreamland sounds like my kind of place. I used to go to a hamburger joint way out in the delta country of east Arkansas that served a hamburger as big as a hub cap on a 55 Chevy and as thick as a big meatloaf. They poured hot BQ sauce all over it and smothered it in fried onions. If you could eat the whole thing it was free. I never saw anybody finish one of those.

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 11:34 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
graewolf wrote:

Corlay, I'll look for Marie's Hot Sauce. I love it on eggs too.

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/marsharhabpe.html

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 11:41 • #29 
Administrator
Well ... what do they say? If you can't beat 'em then join 'em. I'll hijack my own thread with some streamside brisket sandwiches ...

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 11:44 • #30 
Piscator
the aluminum foil is because every good breakfast taco needs at least 5 minutes wrapped up and stuck back in the oven.

yeah, but Gucci B's (HEB Central Market) always has a fresh batch of Santitos - who in their right mind could walk past that to buy any other salsa?

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 11:54 • #31 
Emeritus
Image Image Image

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 12:58 • #32 
Guide
I'd hate to see what state all you fella's arteries and bowels are in ... Image

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 13:10 • #33 
Guide
For me, I love good food and preparing it almost as much as fly fishing. You guys always provide me with new infusion ideas for some of my own favorites. Maybe one day, I'll stop be lazy and snap a pic or two of some of our Canadian faves with a bit of a twist.

Cheers,
Chad.

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 13:26 • #34 
Emeritus
I expect Tom to pipe up about the fine BBQ in Kansas City. In my opinion some of the best around. Sorry, no pictures, I was too busy eating.

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 13:41 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
nothing like a hunk of good beef marinated In Stuart's sauce.

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 14:40 • #36 
Administrator
Howard,

I was trying to explain that to Cameron last night. But until he attends Ron's Texas Glass Clave next year, the true meaning of BBQ won't sink in. In general, you don't find good BBQ on the East coast like you do in the center of the country. Where I come from in the NorthEast, we don't do BBQ - we grill. Now that I know the difference, I still grill. All the good BBQ cooks have a 49 year head start on me and I have no chance of catching up.

Tony Romas, arguably the most financially successful rib franchise on the East Coast set up a restaurant near me a few years back. My wife and I thought this was hysterical. What were they thinking? That restaurant lasted less than six months.

Tom

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 16:38 • #37 
Piscator
Johnno, it's to celebrate - I don't eat meat more than a couple of times/ month.
now lay off my cigars.

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 16:51 • #38 
Emeritus
Tom, I accepted Cameron's vinegar sauce and mustard sauce thinking that what he doesn't know wont hurt him. I had BBQ in Austin and found it pretty darn good. I wish I could remember the name of the place in KC that I ate at last time I was there. I'd have them air freight me some ribs and sauce. We have a new place here called Famous Dave's and it's pretty darn good even though the original is in Minnesota. Tony Romas? I think they went out of business here as well.

Unfair Trade
Post 17 Nov 2008, 20:14 • #39 
Guide
LOL fair enough! You ought to see that state of our BBQ after a deer has been bought home ... As for cigars.. I stopped smoking (from 25 a day to 0 overnight) 5 years back, but every now and again after a huge feed of BBQ'ed venison and copious quantities of red wine.. a cigar would still be nice.. In fact better than nice.. Image

We have a family BBQ tomato sauce recipe that is about 140 years old. World famous in our family and lovely!

Oh and by the way Grits? What are they? Type of biscuit or something?

Unfair Trade
Post 18 Nov 2008, 04:49 • #40 
Piscator
we've actually done a great job here on a very delicate topic.
comparing the local Mexican cuisine and/or barbeque is right up there with ethnicity, religion and politics.

but with grits, it could get dangerous.
They're like a cereal or a starchy side, but in the South, they are culturally revered.

Unfair Trade
Post 18 Nov 2008, 05:02 • #41 
Guide
Now as to grits! I love 'em and just last night we had a great low country dish called shrimp & grits. It sounds strange to people that don't live along the coast but this is a really tasty dish made with stone ground white grits, bacon, cheese, scallions, mushrooms and lots of big bay shrimp. Of course dash some Cholula hot sauce over it too! Deeewishusss!

Oh, I almost forgot, I'll follow that up with a good cigar, my favorite right now is a Perdomo Lot 23 Torpedo. Image

Unfair Trade
Post 18 Nov 2008, 05:17 • #42 
Piscator
not a bad smoke - I've been through a box or 2 of those. I generally like shade wrappers on a strong cigar (the Lot 23 fits the bill). Two cigars I am never out of are El Original corona clara from Island Smoke Shop, and 601 from Pepin Garcia (best price from lilbrown.com). Lately, a couple of darker wrappers have made it up my list: Illusione from Dion in Reno (his No. 2 is the best torp this side of a contraband Boly BBF), and Esencia from my local friend Jack who also owns Palio cutters; however, to get Jack's Escencia, the best price is Southside Smoke Shop in NJ. Jack's pc is perfect.

Unfair Trade
Post 18 Nov 2008, 05:26 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
graewolf wrote:
my favorite right now is a Perdomo Lot 23 Torpedo. Image
never smoked a Perdomo before, but they are certainly on my list to try.
I tend to like the Cameroon (natural) wrapped Nicaraguan variety (or similar).
La Gloria Cubana, Padron, La Aurora, and Fuente "Hemingway" are my main-stays ...
Have a box of Oliva right now, though. Pretty good!

Unfair Trade
Post 18 Nov 2008, 05:29 • #44 
Well, Bulldog, if I needed any more convincing of your extraordinary sense of good taste, that shot of your smoker was it. Looks very much like the New Braunfels smoker I've been using for many years here - and a model which the fools who bought out the company have discontinued. I grew up on barbecue which had been slow-smoked over oak for anywhere from 24 to 48 hours in huge pits; the only controversy was whether white oak or red oak made better tasting meat. It's been a challenge to duplicate that fabulous stuff in a small smoker, but I found one thing that works wonders on hefty pieces of meat such as whole briskets: cook the meat until it's starting to approach doneness (4 - 6 hours in that smoker), then pop it into foil (Reynolds Hot Bags, if you can find the elusive little buggers) for no more than 1-1/2 hours. That preserves the smokiness and crust, prevents the acid taste of over-smoking, makes a world of difference in the tenderness, but doesn't give the meat a boiled taste or texture - as long as you're very careful not to overdo the cooking time in foil. The result comes as close to the ambrosia of my childhood as anything I've ever had from a smaller smoker.
By the way, for sauce there's no substitute for a touch of hickory in the fire box. Anything else is just a side dish. One of the best of those is Pickapeppa Sauce (the brown version; I'm not even sure you can get the red any more). I didn't find decent barbecue meat yesterday in time to do the deed, but a brisket, two tri-tips, and a bunch of sausages are heading for the smoker this morning.

Unfair Trade
Post 18 Nov 2008, 05:39 • #45 
Piscator
prolly because it is a New Braunfels Smoker. You know, my house is 18 miles from New Braunfels.

Cut down a big red oak in my back yard a few years ago and still smoking from that tree. Also blend with mesquite and pecan.
I have rosemary and wild oregano in the yard, and and throw the green branches on the fire.

Smoked a turkey for thanksgiving a few years ago - 20 hours and several cigars for that one. Fed my family, my folks and my sister's family - there literally was not a leftover.

Unfair Trade
Post 18 Nov 2008, 06:26 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Johnno, grits is dried crushed corn (maize) yellow or white. "Grit" makes sense if you were to see the corn after it was crushed. It is gritty indeed. It is cooked in many different ways. One guy boils them soft and pours maple syrup on them.

Unfair Trade
Post 18 Nov 2008, 07:23 • #47 
Guide
Corlay, try a Perdomo Lot 23, I think you'll be pleased.

Bulldog, I wrote down a couple of those cigars you mentioned and I'm going to look them up.

Mike

Unfair Trade
Post 18 Nov 2008, 08:25 • #48 
Piscator
Mike, have you ever had a Perdomo Reserve F Champagne? That's my favorite cigar from Perdomo.
You might also want to compare LilBrown's prices with what you're paying for the Lot 23

Unfair Trade
Post 18 Nov 2008, 10:01 • #49 
Guide
Ron,

Most of the Perdomo cigars are too rich for my blood, but I do buy a 5 pack of Lot 23 once in awhile. Usually I get the Perdomo Habano Remainders, which are really very good, not as good as their 1st rate cigars, but good and affordable. I order from Famous-smokes and their prices are pretty good, but I'll look in on the site you mentioned. I'll try a 5 pack of those you recommend next time I'm feeling like a high roller.

We should rename this thread Fiberglass Eats & Cigars. Image

Unfair Trade
Post 18 Nov 2008, 10:06 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
graewolf wrote:
We should rename this thread Fiberglass Eats & Cigars. Image
toss some "bourbon" in there too!

Although, I do apologize for contributing to this thread-jack ...

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply