It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:58

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Jan 2021, 11:09 • #1 
Guide
To Bulldog and others. I bought an MG 10 but the coiled pawl spring was missing and I used a ball point pen spring carefully cut to get the right amount of tension and click. However, there is room for improvement and fine tuning. Where do you get or what do you use as replacement springs for this mechanism. In addition, when there is maximum pay tension the wind tension also increases, is this correct?

Post 08 Jan 2021, 14:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not familiar with that reel, but, I know what I'd do; if the spring from a ball pen is close, then search the web for "small helical springs" and look through the resulting sites for stock springs that suit the application. Or straighten the pen spring and rewind the wire on a smaller/larger mandrel - darning needle, drift punch etc- then pop in the oven for a while to reset it.

Post 08 Jan 2021, 14:50 • #3 
Guide
Thanks good idea I may try that.

Post 08 Jan 2021, 18:34 • #4 
Administrator
You can inquire at some of the reel parts suppliers. For example, Mike's Reel Repair has a Martin spring listed on their website.

I pulled a spring from a single pawl MG10 (on the left) and from a dual pawl reel (on the right). The springs are shaped the same. The MG10 spring wire is 0.015" in diameter. The other spring wire is 0.0135" diameter. Both springs are 0.140" outer diameter and about 0.35" long. The MG10 spring might be a slight bit stiffer. Either spring is a better replacement than a pen spring. In other words, don't worry about getting an MG10 spring - a generic Martin click spring will do just fine.

Tom

Post 11 Jan 2021, 10:55 • #5 
Piscator
I stumbled across a long stainless spring, just the right turn size with slightly larger wire diameter, that improved Martin click-pawl.
I cut several Martin springs from it.
Unfortunately, all gone, but it really beefed up this 77W, which needed it for its steelhead niche.
You can always adjust spring tension by squeezing them shorter or stretching them longer.
Stainless is the best because of its natural work-hardening - while brass work hardens a bit, it's nothing like stainless, and part of the problem using ball-point pen springs.

Post 11 Jan 2021, 12:25 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Look in reel papers for an owner's manual--there are several there--and make sure you have installed the pawl for your preferred winding direction. The single-arm design (from the time when RHW was the predominant choice) slightly favors RHW, but with the pawl turned over, (slot angling away from the arm pivot), these work very well in LHW. The stiffer click resistance should be on pay only. When the cam knob is turned for maximum pressure on the arm, only a very slight increase may be felt on wind.

As for springs, one other possible source if you have a good gunsmith shop nearby is firing pin return springs. If there is one that feels similar, has similar diameter wire and coils, it can be cut to fit. Realize that if you stiffen the spring, you want to keep the mechanism well lubed. That extra load can increase wear on the pawl, gear, and camming surfaces and it adds stress to the riveted fittings.

One other point if you haven't done this. Especially if paired with a fiberglass rod, and especially with a multiplier like the MG10, you won't get the actual feel of the outgoing click unless the reel is loaded with line and the pay is tested with the rod at various degrees of flex and line-pull. A relatively light feeling click will feel more subtle, responsive, and stronger through the rod, and also through the multiplying reel. Spinning the spool or backwinding the reel doesn't convey its feel in use.

Post 11 Jan 2021, 14:08 • #7 
Guide
Beauty 77W Bulldog. It came that shiny out of the box? If not, how did you polish it? Thanks everyone for the spring and pay information especially pointing out that the multiplier pay should be tested with reel full on rod. The pay on this 77WS could use some beefing up.

Post 11 Jan 2021, 18:24 • #8 
Piscator
It was NIB (+ my spring mod) and Cameron bought it from me - I really didn't have an application for it, but loved petting it for awhile.
When we began collecting these things, there were a lot of fly shops offloading their old inventory on ebay.
The real beauty I got was a NIB M68, and Bill F. made some OnePfoot spacers to fit - it's on somebody's cane rod now
middlemac picked up more than anybody, and especially, hunted down some early postwar tuna cans that are stunning.

New Topic Add Reply