It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:58

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Jan 2021, 22:32 • #1 
Guide
I picked up a medalist from the late forties. It has the chain link line guide. The plastic latch cover is kind of shriveled up and out of round. Is that something that happens to early plastic?

Post 07 Jan 2021, 23:40 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Short story, yes.
You can- replace the spool or eBay seller mrgenesse parts out Medalist reels, or Bob Selb at classicflyfisherman.com makes a replacement metal latch cover as does Dan Hill formerly onepfoot.com (I have an email for Dan if you PM me)
Any spool for the appropriate reel should fit from the first Patent drag units end of production, I believe.

Post 08 Jan 2021, 12:26 • #3 
Master Guide
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70785
Another option if you want to tinker. I've seen some custom made by folks with metal working tools. Mine is a quick bit of toying around with the minimal tools I've got.

Post 08 Jan 2021, 20:46 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
It happens to some of the early plastics. Some latch covers are fine, others have just disintegrated. I"m not sure how much is due to the chemicals they were exposed to and how much was just the variation in that new material.

Post 08 Jan 2021, 21:05 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I can look to see if I have a good one lying around, no charge. Let me know.

Post 09 Jan 2021, 00:46 • #6 
Guide
Mine is still functional. Just out of round and wavy. This particular reel is in original box and never been lined.

Post 09 Jan 2021, 09:12 • #7 
Piscator
Plastic formulation before and even soon after WWII was more art than science.
I had a May '42 Gem that the handle grasp decomposed in the new box.
Made for a great deal with a new Pfoot handle.

Post 09 Jan 2021, 10:35 • #8 
Guide
Nice that would be a horseshoe latch model?

Post 09 Jan 2021, 10:46 • #9 
Piscator
no, horseshoe was only 1935 - I think maybe Hardy put a stop to it.

Post 09 Jan 2021, 10:58 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry looked through my Medalist spare parts and found no plastic latch covers. I remember now sending a couple to another on CFRF a year or two ago. Maybe another board member has a spare from an Akron reel they'd be willing to donate.

Post 09 Jan 2021, 14:25 • #11 
Guide
Trev wrote:
Short story, yes.
You can- replace the spool or eBay seller mrgenesse parts out Medalist reels, or Bob Selb at classicflyfisherman.com makes a replacement metal latch cover as does Dan Hill formerly onepfoot.com (I have an email for Dan if you PM me)
Any spool for the appropriate reel should fit from the first Patent drag units end of production, I believe.

I believe Dan Hill has sold the one-pfoot business to Joe and Jamie Burg, but Dan can direct you to them if you contact him.

Post 09 Mar 2021, 23:28 • #12 
I agree with Bulldog that the plastics in the 1940's Medalists deteriorate vigorosly. My experience with the plastic handles has been that the original pyralin amber colored handles on the 1930's Medalists hold up very well. Also the swirled plastic handles on the Gem Reels hold up. The formulation must have been changed in the 1940's as ivory-colored handles were introduced and aluminum spool release covers and aluminum drag adjusting knobs were replaced with plastic. I have seen too many spool release covers, spool handles, and adjusting screw knobs deteriorate from the 1940's era reels. By about 1950 the problem was solved even though I think the USA made Medalists until 1982 still used the same nitrocellulose-based plastics. The spool release covers and handles from the vintage 1950's reels actually improve in appearance with age. The plastic is Nitrocellulose based, 1st introduced in the late 1800's as a substitute for ivory . Dissolves with denatured alcohol. Very flammable. The nitrocellulose based plastics were used on photograhic film before World War 2, a hell of a fire hazard. ( my info on pyralin is from Wikipedia, this Pandemic has sidelined me to too much useless information) (Also I am from Rochester, the George Eastman House is here and the storage and preservation of old motion picture films is important, Eastman also started a company here that actually manufactured film) (For those too young to remember photograhic film was a way we used to store images)

Post 10 Mar 2021, 08:42 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Here is a link to the LATEST ownership of OnePfoot. They have aluminum latch covers for $27.95.

IMHO, the OnePfoot latch cover which has the logo stamped into it looks much nicer the M-Part version which is laser engraved...

I hope the new owners of OnePfoot do Bill's legacy justice...

Post 10 Mar 2021, 11:08 • #14 
Piscator
mrriver wrote:
I agree with Bulldog that the plastics in the 1940's Medalists deteriorate vigorosly. My experience with the plastic handles has been that the original pyralin amber colored handles on the 1930's Medalists hold up very well. Also the swirled plastic handles on the Gem Reels hold up....

Thanks for your support, but I believe the differences were entirely batch-to-batch.
Resin and hardener compositions varied by batch, and then mixing the two also varied - to get swirl, you kind of choose up front to not mix thoroughly.
I bought a NIB Gem from 1942 that the swirl knob had melted in the box - it was a great buy, and added OnePfoot knob.

Bamboozle, if you haven't already, should add your link to the sticky thread.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 11 Mar 2021, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Mar 2021, 11:23 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Will do.

Post 10 Mar 2021, 12:16 • #16 
Piscator
way cool, bro

Post 10 Mar 2021, 12:29 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Another factor with the latch covers was what chemicals they were exposed to--maybe from lubricants, cleaning, and so on. I think some fumes could even do them in, mothballs, for instance, if a reel were stashed with flytying materials. The plastic would be hard, but deformed/ "melted." So to varies-by-batch, add varies-by-exposure.

The metal replacements are nifty. Never needed one (or plastic, for that matter) myself, but my oldest Pfluegers are early 1960s. Sometimes, though, it's just as easy and authentic to get a spare spool with a good cover. If you're out a latch, a circlip works temporarily until you get the replacement cover or spool, as do various other styles of retaining clips and caps.

Post 10 Mar 2021, 12:44 • #18 
Piscator
especially automotive lubes - long-term, they can break down and release naphthenic acid.
All those crazed green erinoid handles from before WWII got that way from this lube decomposition, and the green was copper salt from the spindle screws.
Image Image
The same process probably attacked the lead finish.

Post 10 Mar 2021, 23:11 • #19 
Thanks for the link bamboozle. Just ordered some parts. Really easy to order. Used my Pay-Pal account. Too easy to spend lots. I probably will end up buying enough click drag ratchets to update all my reels.

Last edited by mrriver on 12 Mar 2021, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Mar 2021, 11:15 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Let us know how the transaction goes on the Young Pfoot sticky thread.

Previous ownership wasn't as easy to order and receive from as original ownership so it will be of interest (at least to me) how the current ownership handles things and the quality compared to the OnePfoot originals if you have any to compare to.

Post 12 Mar 2021, 17:15 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
FWIW, I've had really great luck with the current ownership in a few different transactions. And my tricked-out 1498 with new parts is now the coolest reel on the river. :)

New Topic Add Reply