It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Nov 2020, 10:30 • #1 
Guide
Awesome knowledge Bulldog on the history of Young reels and light tackle spinning gear, again demonstrating that this board is the premiere source for esoteric knowledge of not only fiberglass rods but all types of fishing equipment. Care to comment on how you play fish off a click pawl reel, specifically how to manage loose line before the fish is on the reel without slack. It recently dawned on me that through all the years not only was i trying to fly fish but I was also hand lining most of my fresh water catches and many of their salt water brethren.

Post 24 Nov 2020, 11:04 • #2 
Piscator
Thanks for your kind words.
I do prefer to consider this experience rather than esoteric, and no, I'm not offended, and understand the spirit of your kind remarks.
Back when this forum began, finding any new click-pawl reel or glass rod was finding hen's teeth.

I put almost all fish on the reel - only hand-line when they're bait-size.

here's a few posts I made on the subject:

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 24 Nov 2020, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Nov 2020, 11:15 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Here's a discussion that covers a lot of angles and preferences. If you choose to get fish on the reel all or most of the time, the time to learn and practice reeling up slack is ALL the time for any fish until doing so is automatic habit and you have to stop your self from doing it. It isn't awkward, although like most learning, it may feel that way at first. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64016&p=332342&hilit=functional+requirement#p332342

Click pawl reels are well suited to fiberglass rods. Dip the rod slightly to enable the relatively low "start-up" resistance to be overcome; lift to add resistance through the flexed rod. Somewhere in this range will be the smooth whirring click resistance that tires a fish on a run. Remember that the purpose of a drag is not to stop a fish, it is to tire and confuse the fish. Click/pawl reels in combination with 'glass rods enable great control in this process.

Post 24 Nov 2020, 11:24 • #4 
Piscator
On the thread I linked, there was a reply "or use a disk drag reel" - if it was there, the reply would have been "or grow out of it"

Post 24 Nov 2020, 12:08 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I get 'em on the reel unless, as BD says, they're small and, I would add, hooked in close. I use rim control only where necessary, usually in concert with sideways pull when strong fish get downstream of me in the current. I've tried to hand-line a few, with very messy results.

Post 24 Nov 2020, 13:08 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Most of my spring/pawl reels have an exposed rim so it's pretty easy to play fish off the reel. I basically just use my palm for pressure on the rim (actually, utilizing the inside of the spool as demonstrated by Bulldog above is pretty easy once you get the hang of it--key: once you get the hang of it). That reminds me, my one spring/pawl that I have that doesn't have an exposed rim needs to get used more this year (Young Beaudex---just an awesome reel!).

Post 24 Nov 2020, 13:19 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Another good discussion going. The last post reminded me that I use palming rim click pawls like the JW Young 1525 and conventional spool like various Martins for the same fishing. Without even thinking about it, it's automatic to palm the rim on that type, or feather a spool that isn't "skirted," as Martin called it. Any of the techniques described become second nature if practiced on all fish, including those you could just as well strip in. You don't get those little fish on the reel because it's necessary, you do it so when it is a great advantage, it will be done before you even think about it. As a side point from a recent discussion, this habit also improves consistent spooling of line that reduces/avoids kinks and twists.

Post 24 Nov 2020, 21:54 • #8 
Guide
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will read the cited posts

Post 25 Nov 2020, 18:41 • #9 
Guide
I don't always play good sized fish on the reel. Maybe I'm just uncoordinated but when I hook a decent sized smallmouth things often happen much too fast to take time to put it on the reel - I feel like I'd risk loosing it by doing so.

Post 25 Nov 2020, 21:06 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Speck, Smallmouth and trout are different beasts. When you hook a Steelhead on a size 16 nymph, you need all the help you can get. They run and the hookup is never as reliable as a bass hookup.

Getting past the first 3 seconds is the first challenge, then getting it on the reel is the next challenge. Low startup inertia is a big help. After it's on the reel, you have a good chance of landing it. Fiberglass rods make this whole process a lot easier.

For trout fishing, I usually fish either a JW young (sage 106m) or Ross (R2, Gunnison or San Miguel) or Abel Big game pt5. Bulldog would probably call most of these reels boring. The Young is the only click and pawl in the bunch, but is rock solid and is better at landing fish on light tippet than the Abel which seems to have a higher startup inertia, and on any disk drag, I have to be careful not to dial up the drag too much.

Palming or feathering a click and pawl reel works really well, but avoid any reels with nicks on the rim.

Post 26 Nov 2020, 04:41 • #11 
Guide
carlz wrote:
Palming or feathering a click and pawl reel works really well, but avoid any reels with nicks on the rim.

Thanks for that warning carlz. Been there, done that (once...)
Also, if you use gelspun for backing, keep your fingers far away from the backing while the fish runs. It will slice into your fingers like a sharp knife through warm butter.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 19:18 • #12 
Master Guide
Hooking a big fish on a click pawl reel is always a “woohoo!” moment for me. I’ve never had real trouble getting a fish onto the reel - it runs, and I let line slip out until the slack is gone. If it doesn’t run, I strip strip strip and keep it off the reel until it runs. After that, the exposed rim of say a Marquis or a CFO really makes life easier - a little palm pressure will slow a running trout right down. Adrenaline can be a problem — makes subtle modulation hard. Lately my conceit has been to run “It’s only a matter of time until I lose it” through my head. Calms me right down and leaves me pleasantly surprised if I get it into the net.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 19:55 • #13 
Guide
:like

Hooking a big, feisty, fighting fish on a clicker is an absolute treat. Mr Fish decides he wants to be on the reel. I went steelheading last year with a 7wt wearing a Marquis 8/9. When hearing the reel scream and watching the fish run downstream, my first thought was ... now I know why my fishing buddies use reels with drags and laughed upon seeing my gear... BUT - like motosacto, calming down and using the rod angles and palming the reel with a big feisty one on the line is, for me at least, one of the real challenges of fishing. Land or lose a real fighter, I would rather have him test my ability than the reel's drag setting.

New Topic Add Reply