It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:09

New Topic Add Reply
Who made me
Post 18 Nov 2020, 16:03 • #1 
Master Guide
Ended up with a G. Loomis labeled reel that was made in the USA. Anyone have an idea of who made it? I have also seen pictures of the same reel but made in argintina, assuming by STH. It's clicker was slightly different.
Button on back center allows the spool to be removed.

Re: Who made me
Post 18 Nov 2020, 17:41 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have a G Loomis venture 5 no idea who made it.It is a light gold modern reel with a big drag knob.

Post 18 Nov 2020, 17:59 • #3 
Master Guide
Shimano made the venture.

Post 18 Nov 2020, 21:41 • #4 
Master Guide
That's a real good question. I have no clue. The name plate looks similar to j ryall, but I've never seen a j ryall clicker.

The gear on the spool looks close to a Lamson lp lite 2 i used to have but the reel is not a lamson. Lamson.

It looks like a really nice reel if I saw one for sale I'd buy one

Sorry I couldn't really help.

Post 20 Nov 2020, 14:14 • #5 
Sport
Thanks for posting those pictures Riffling Hitch. I remember seeing this reel in the 345 size a while ago and I just assumed it was a J. Ryall reel, but on closer examination I had my doubts. I reached out to Stu Heller (J. Ryall reel repair guru: http://troutmemories.webmate.me/Site/J. ... STORY.html) and he confirmed that J. Ryall never made a click and pawl reel. I know the Argentine reels you are referring too also, I do believe those are STH made reels. Similar checks to what you have, but not quite the same. I'm afraid I don't have a solid answer but the reel has piqued my curiosity. If I dig up anything else I'll let you know.

Nate

Post 24 Nov 2020, 14:10 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Loomis had reels made by a large number of different manufacturers.There was a company in Brantford Ont. that made reels for Loomis for a short time,at least in Canada.I think the Venture reel was the first one that they stuck with for any length of time.G.Loomis was making rods in Mount Hope Ontario for many years before Shimano shut them down.Now I think they are only made in the state of Washington.

Post 24 Nov 2020, 14:16 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I dunno, but I do know this, that's one sweet looking reel. Calling Bulldog!? he'd most likely know...hopefully he'll weigh in on this thread.

Post 24 Nov 2020, 15:49 • #8 
Master Guide
Saw a picture of another sth reel marked as made in the usa. Maybe sth had prototypes or some production made in usa?

It pairs up nicely whith a loomis IM6. I would guess from the same era.

Post 24 Nov 2020, 17:02 • #9 
Piscator
how's you get a Loomis rod with a Powell reel seat?

I'm at a total loss, but it will come from matching that singular pawl design.
Gary Loomis was a machinist first, and wonder if maybe Loomis made them in house in Woodland, WA?
They were basically made at a time when it was tough to get a click-pawl reel past an FR&R review.
Also, manufacturing one cost as much as a Lamson or Abel

Post 24 Nov 2020, 19:13 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Riffling Hitch wrote:

Thank you sir,did not know Shimano made fly reels.Decent reel for my purposes.

Post 24 Nov 2020, 20:34 • #11 
Master Guide
Very nice rig

Post 26 Nov 2020, 16:33 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
the hersh wrote:
Riffling Hitch wrote:

Thank you sir,did not know Shimano made fly reels.Decent reel for my purposes.

Believe it or not, Shimano also made fly rods. These pictures are from a graphite rod I picked up in the factory in Korea, made for the Japanese market. Note that it is labeled Shimano and the tube says both Shimano and Brookstone. It is very willowy and fun to fish for small trout...but a bruiser will fold it in half.

Post 14 Mar 2021, 18:47 • #13 
Over the years, I've acquired a couple of the STH-made G. Loomis reels, that I think predate your made in USA ones. One is a 678 with the button-style spool release found on the original STH Airweights, while the other is 345 with a disc drag. The 678 is a click pawl with adjustable tension, but uses a drag mechanism that differs from the Airweight or Airweight Clik. Both are open frame and are marked "Made in Argentina ".
Crappy photos, but I'll try again if anyone needs a closer look.

Post 14 Mar 2021, 22:24 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool looking reel. I liked the look of the sth reels but was never a fan of their drag. Your drag I would not mind. Again nice reel.

Post 17 Mar 2021, 20:31 • #15 
Master Guide
Django, what makes you think the STH version predates the us version? In searching I did find a couple of pictures of STH branded reels that also said maid in the USA. Not sure what the STH USA connection is. I Think Cortland may have owned STH at some point. I was thinking the other way in that the USA reels would have come first and maybe been the prototypes. I wouldn't think STH would let their designs be copied but who knows.

Russell

New Topic Add Reply