It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:46

New Topic Add Reply
STH 567
Post 16 Nov 2020, 18:31 • #1 
Guide
New to me STH. Solid as a rock... needs some TLC but in perfect working order. Feel free anyone for a history lesson here.. I researched the site and have learned quite a bit already.. I have a Cortland cassette that might be a cousin? I want to replace the screws onbthe face plate and get a face plate for it as it’s gone so if anyone can point me in the direction I need it would be greatly appreciated!! KEN

Re: STH 567
Post 16 Nov 2020, 18:49 • #2 
Guide
Congrats. You are right about rock solid, these reels are like that. Orvis used to have a line of reels made by STH for quite a while. That should speak quite highly of them.
Are you wanting to replace the two screws on the latch-cap or or the whole latch-cap assembly itself?
Bill Archuleta of "Archuleta's Reel Works" in Oregon might have parts & screws that may fit. He can also custom turns screws if you are able to send him a sample. Did three nickle-silver screws for a Hardy St. George for me that were super precise.

Last edited by blueprof on 16 Nov 2020, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 16 Nov 2020, 19:33 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I have the smaller version of that reel. Very reliable but a bit heavier than the Ross and Teton reels of the same vintage.

Post 16 Nov 2020, 19:53 • #4 
Guide
Thanks guys! Yes... screws I may have but I’m more concerned with locating an emblem cap for the cassette. Can’t wait to pair her up with my Fenwick 7wt

Post 17 Nov 2020, 01:11 • #5 
Guide
So,...is it the medallion that you are looking for?
If so, that may be much harder to source. Could someone machine a custom disc in metal or Delrin plastic to fit into that recessed space on the cap?
At least, you'd want to seal the opening to the latch.

Try Jose Luis Wamboldt, in Argentina [note added, please PM for email address. Tom]
He is writing a history of STH reels. Perhaps he may know someone who could get a latch-cap medallion for you in Argentina.

Post 17 Nov 2020, 12:19 • #6 
Guide
Thank you!! I figured it would be worth mentioning here first. Thais for the help and I’ll look into it!

Post 17 Nov 2020, 13:15 • #7 
Master Guide
If it were me, I'd try cleaning up those screws before replacement. A soak in some krud kutter or other rust remover might get them looking great again. And it looks like the medallion is just cosmetic or a dust cap, rather than an integral part, so you might try finding a coin that fits, or making one out of an aesthetically pleasing material. I made one for the back of a reel out of oak.

Right now you've got a fun detailing project and will get a great working reel out of it.

Post 17 Nov 2020, 18:29 • #8 
Guide
You know your right.... great idea! I’m on it just as soon as I can get back to my shop! Would love to see some photos of yours!

Post 17 Nov 2020, 20:16 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Cortland owned STH for awhile but I dont think they do now.You might try to get ahold of them in case they may have some parts left over.You could try the same with STH.I had the same reel you have when they first came out.The drag plate has the smallest drag surface of all of these reels.The Cortland disc drag reels were made by Cortland when they owned the company.I purchased one of these a couple of months ago with a spare spool.They are nice reels.

Post 17 Nov 2020, 20:35 • #10 
Guide
Thanks Stonefly! I’m excited to get this out water :)

Post 13 Dec 2020, 23:58 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I was just looking at my STH and it looks to me like a dime just might fit in the opening of the latch cover.If it does just epoxy one in.As far as Im copncerned if it works ,use it. :)

New Topic Add Reply